Which One Will Perform Better?

I am considering a cpu upgrade, but want some opinions. Should I get an Athlon XP 3200+, or a Sempron (fastest made in socket A)? My question is which one will give best overall performance. The Barton core has more cache, but does the T-Bred B core OC better? What do you guys think?

:foldon:

3200+ is much musch faster than any sempron...maybe you should get a mobile 2600

I have had bad luck with mobiles. I couldn't get my 2500+M to even hit 2 GHz, and I tried two different chips. They just weren't stable. I think it may be my mobo, even though others have had success with this model. My desktop 2500+ was great until someone tried to clean AS5 off of it with high power adhesive remover, and ruined it.

I don't have the funds for a new mobo, so Socket A is the only option. The difference between a Sempron 2800+ (T-Bred B) and an XP 3200+ (Barton)shouldn't be that much if the T-bred B oc's better. The only consideration is that the Barton has more cache.

if you can't afford the mobo for a new socket cpu... WAIT till you can. there is no reason to waste the $$$ on an outdated 3200+ athlon xp right now. for a few $$$ more you end up with a nice athlon 64 2800+ or 3000+ or sempron 3100+... all of which will put that 3200+ to shame

if you can't afford the mobo for a new socket cpu... WAIT till you can. there is no reason to waste the $$$ on an outdated 3200+ athlon xp right now. for a few $$$ more you end up with a nice athlon 64 2800+ or 3000+ or sempron 3100+... all of which will put that 3200+ to shame

That is a good point. I was thinking of getting more RAM soon too, to make a total of 1Gb, but I might as well wait for that too and get faster RAM. I guess I'll have to wait until it is tough to play the new games at a good rate.

faster ram is over rated anyhow. my 2400+ @ 2.7ghz gets it's but handed to it by a stock athlon 64 3000+... it took faster ram, better cooling, and the whole 9 yards to achieve something that could be beaten STOCK and cooler. pc3200 is FINE.