Newb To Overclocking...

Alright... well i just got my new computer set up... what a pain ... watercooling doesnt like to stop leaking hehe. Anyway, my current specs are:

P4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB prescott core

ABIT IC7-MAX3

2x512mb corsair XMS low-latency ram (CAS = 2-3-3-5)

and not sure what else matters...but i also got a radeon 9800pro128mb and custom watercooling setup

Current temperature is 39degrees celcius. (according to the probe software that came with the mobo).

I tried to overclock, and it seems that i can adjust two things... the external clock speed and the CPU voltage...as well as some ratio, and some other stuff. ... can anyone tell me what this stuff means? Whats the best to change, whats the most dangerous, what has the most actual effect...

My technique is already here; read that :). If it doesnt run stable (ie you get "missing file" errors or other errors during the start up of windows/running of it) raise the vcore a notch. The most dangerous to raise is the Vcore (I think). The ratio may be a CPU:RAM ratio. I usually have it at 1:1 but I have it at 5:4 right now because I dont want to overclock my ram much :).

Software temp monitors get their information from the same place the BIOS does, so they're fairly reliable-reliable enough to let you know when you're pushing too hard before you ruin something. Different board manufacturers have different equations for calculating the temps you see in a software monitor. The two most often cited for discrepancies on P4 boards are Abit (tells you higher than it actually is) and Asus (tells you lower). There are no exact figures how much because there are just too many variables affecting cpu temps. A safe bet would be : Abit-reads 5c-7c higher than it is, and Asus-5c-7c lower. I've had my cpu in an Intel board as well as my Abit, and it reported an average between these two extremes.

Also, your cpu is not at a dead idle while you're in the BIOS, so there will be a little heat on the cpu.

odd hmm... it seems that the BIOS says 40degrees, while when running my computer with serveral programs open, not big ones...but still... its actually lower, 39degrees...

And its an ABIT board, so if what your telling me is true the prescott is keeping very cool i guess ^_^