512mg 3200 dual channel low latency corsair

180gb hard drive, IDE

Radeon 9700 Pro AIW oced @ 374/332

#2:

AMD 2100+ oced to 2700+

512mg 2700 single stick corsair

250gb sata hard drive

Radeon 9700 pro oced @ 330/320

I ran the doom 3 time demo multiple times on each machine. The average for system #1 was 30.5fps and system #2 was 38.7fps.

How in the world does a computer that has slower ram, slower cpu, same video card but not clocked as high run faster? I am freakin confused!! Any tips?

your comparing apples to oranges

for 1 your 2nd machine has SATA - that alone makes a HUGE performance boost,

and again unless you use the SAME graphix card - your specs listed arent IDENTICAL your RADEON PRO AIW is going to bench lesser scores than your RADEON PRO--- sometimes if you overclock a card too much then you will get adverse affects - put the graphix cards back to stock speeds then retest

another factor is that you have 2 sticks of ram in the first system, another is that you only have 1 stick on the 2nd system

your test scrores are varrying so much because your 2 systems are too differently configured - NUMBERS ARENT EVERYTHING - the way you have things set up is a great factor in performance - try swapping ram - just because its "DUAL" channel doesnt mean you are going to get better performance

Haha. I am a noob. The amd system was running at 1024x768 and the p4 machine was running at 1280x1024.

I reran it with both at 1024 and the p4 pulled ahead at 44fps. Phew. Im glad my mighty p4 wasnt pwned by a mear amd machine. :lol:

just say your post and Im gonna have to disagree with sata giving you a performance boost in games. Maybe to load the level, but that wont affect fps. Plus the dual channel will help performance mainly cause its faster ram and low latency. and I know the cards are different but the AIW will outperform my powercolor radeon anyday.

Edited by andrusk

How in the world does a computer that has slower ram, slower cpu, same video card but not clocked as high run faster? I am freakin confused!! Any tips?

just say your post and Im gonna have to disagree with sata giving you a performance boost in games. Maybe to load the level, but that wont affect fps. Plus the dual channel will help performance mainly cause its faster ram and low latency. and I know the cards are different but the AIW will outperform my powercolor radeon anyday.

dude im done with this post--- you should pay attention to yourself more often than not