Tell Me...

Why the hell do ppl get 64-bit when there is only linux that's ready for it (besides servers) I mean, is there such a big performance increase?? cuz they all cost almost as much as P4's

P4 SUCK!!

Why the hell do ppl get 64-bit when there is only linux that's ready for it (besides servers) I mean, is there such a big performance increase?? cuz they all cost almost as much as P4's

In addition to future 64 bit compatibility, AMD64 also offers superior 32 bit performance right now.

P4 SUCK!!

Here is a place you can tell everybody how you feel.

:withstupid: Why would somebody buy a P4, knowing full well that the transition to 64-bit computing is right around the corner? Not only are the Athlon 64 chips faster than the p4's in 32-bit apps, but they also allow for the future expandability to 64-bit.

Unless your rich and have no care for money then you would spend $500-$600 now and $600-$700 when 64bit technology takes the spotlight. Me, like most will go with spending the $600-$700 now and save the extra money for faster vid cards in the future! Bye-bye 32bit, hello 64bit, next month!

I wouldnt buy anything right now, we seem to be in a very transitional stage atm. With the full capabilities of PCI-express, 64 bit and DDR2 just around the corner, I think someone would have to be crazy to buy now, even if its just buy a 6800/X800 card.

Also I think people who have bought into the 64bit route should have waited, but thats just my opinion.

Ahhh so much changes, well I guess thats technology for ya.

But see Vampire, that's the thing about technology...it's ALWAYS changing and there's ALWAYS something new on the horizon. You could spend your whole life waiting for the "next best thing" to come along, and in the meantime you don't have any of the current cool stuff. The stuff that's going to be released 6 months from now doesn't do me any good...stuff that hasn't been released yet isn't going to run Doom III for me. I'm not afraid to buy anything at any time...if something new is really THAT much better, then heck, I'll just buy it too. B)

For example, socket 754 already has a limited lifespan. (well for 64-bit cpu's at least) But the past 6 months of being on the bleeding-edge hardware made my decision to purchase 754 stuff completely worthwhile. And oftentimes the "newest and greatest" things aren't really any better. Socket 939? Nope, hardly any faster than 754. Prescott? I sure hope nobody put off buying a northwood for one of those, lol. LGA755? Once again, I'd rather have a socket 478. Newer stuff isn't always the best.

Edited by Eva_Unit_0

For me, I am sticking to what I have, I am sitting back and watching right now,,,when 64 bit comes full circle the prices will jump....as people buy up the 64bit reveloution I will wait until the price drops and the 64bit world has the bugs fixed...!! ;)