Static Wrist Bands

TimeMachine

ya know - from personal experiance - i think the static bands for todays technology that goes into a home computer is a farce!!!

i have an old ADI monitor that is nothing but a static generator sitting where.... right next to my puter - i am constantly zapping myself on my puter and have NEVER "zapped" any components ---

anyone ever watch the discovery channel when they have the slot machines on there being zapped with 50000 and 100000 volt tazers???? well a static shock is nowhere near that amount of voltage.... and yet these slot machines are still ticking away - the components in your computer arent built too much differently than that of a slot machines components -

ive tried to damage hardware with "human" static - the whole rubbing the shoes on carpet, the rubbing of the monitor, and still i have yet to damage anything inside my puter by "touching it"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be useful, but they are generally worthless. As opposed to some of the people here, I have killed components by static electricity - I felt the shock as I touched the board and then it never worked again.

However, it was years ago I lost count of how many machines I've built and worked on the guts of. I've used a static strap a couple of times and thought they were pointless!

You can spend $5 - $20 on one if you really want to, or you can go off of the percentages I've got and the others posting here...

<edit>

BTW, I've killed a modem, a video card, and memory...

</edit>

Edited by cybergrunt69

Yes... they will make you look stupid, don't know about stopping the build up of static though.. you generally wear rubber (thick) gloves if you work with high voltage equipment as it protects you from the components.. don't know if it works the other way around. I suspect not.. but what do I know.

dont wast your money, just remember to tuch the side of the case befor you do work.. a static wrist band wont do much if your touching a card and sliding arround on the floor anyway.. if you want real portection, get latex gloves..

dont wast your money, just remember to tuch the side of the case befor you do work.. a static wrist band wont do much if your touching a card and sliding arround on the floor anyway.. if you want real portection, get latex gloves..

whne u pit the ...... it makes me think its a bad thing, or a diss, so is the latex a good thing or not???

I think latex actually generates static electricity (a bit like a balloon) so it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Unless of course you were using these, but they are not exactly common latex gloves are they.

If you absolutely need a anti static wristband go to someplace like radio shack or comp usa and buy one for about 5 dollars. but in my oppinion they are pretty much a waist of money. just touch the case before you touch any thing and handle the cards by the edges and you should be fine.