Forgive Me If I'm Being Dumb Here

markiemrboo

I started running Folding@Home yesterday when I discovered I can keep my load temp down to 33C just by keeping my window wide open.

What is the GROMACS core? I just got a work unit (client version 5) and it was like 10000 frames. At first I thought this was going to take absolutely ages, since I had a 600 frame one yesterday that took all day :blink: (normal?!?!) ... but this one is already on 1300/10000 and it says GROMACS core.

So... is this alright?

Thanks

Edited by markiemrboo

I started running Folding@Home yesterday when I discovered I can keep my load temp down to 33C just by keeping my window wide open.

What is the GROMACS core? I just got a work unit (client version 5) and it was like 10000 frames. At first I thought this was going to take absolutely ages, since I had a 600 frame one yesterday that took all day :blink: (normal?!?!) ... but this one is already on 1300/10000 and it says GROMACS core.

So... is this alright?

Thanks

Yes your fine its just a larger different kind of work unit, there are the gromacs, and tinkers, may be others on ver. 5 I have not got around to upgrading all mine the ver. 5 yet. but your fine keep folding

:foldon:

i forgive you :P

gromacs is just another algorithm set afaik, to run the protein simulations, check this out tho...

latestem.jpg

regardless of number of steps, you get a percentage progress meter, and time per step, and also, most exciting heh heh, an estimated finish time for the current work unit... and you can monitor multiple machines on your home network.. bonus.

edit: that shot above is the example of the Electron Microscope site... you can make it look a lot less gay as i have done below:

lessgay.gif

Why thank you :)

I just remembered some option I read about where you could set what type of... work unit you preffered to work on.... folding and another one. I thought it was something to do with that... and the option drop down box thing isn't in the 5.0 client. Just me being confused :D

Thanks!

That's the one. Genome@Home or something! I thought maybe I hadn't set the option for folding only and it wasn't in 5.0 .. then saw this gromacs thing beginning with G :)

Choose the F@H preference option. The Genome@Home project was folded (i had to say that) into the F@H project a while back. The G@H/timeless work unit option gives you WUs that have no expiration date- this is useful if you're folding on a very slow machine.

I have to ask tho what the deal is with the weird WU's i've (and i'm sure every1 else too :) )been getting there is the fast 10000 frame jobies they get done in a few hours then there is the weird 1000 frame Gramac's (I think) they take about half the time of a Tinker to do and of course there is the 400 frame Tinkers that take 2-3 days to get done (depending on machine)..

I've had a look around the forums but i've not found a complete seeming answer to the question of what the 1000 frame big Gromac's are for???

Cheers pplz :)