Sign in to follow this  
HomerJaySimpson

Motorcycle Question For Phil

Ok heres my question.

Why would a bike lose power at anything over 50% throttle? Mine has started doing it, and as soon as i open the throttle more than 50% or so, i feel the power go and the revs drop. Very strange :(

Edit, i just found out that it may be due to the carb being varnished, time to clean it i guess :unsure:

Edited by HomerJaySimpson

Or just out of adjustment maybe.

Also check fuel filter, or maybe crud blocking the main jet.

Edited by Phil

You can also try cleaning your plugs, and/or making sure they aren't fouled.

I had an '96 YZF600 that I ended up letting sit in the garage a little too long without starting, and I ran into your problem. It resulted in taking apart all the carbs, cleaning them, putting them back together and tuning them and it ran like a champ. It's always helpful to know an experienced bike mechanic who works for beer when you need something like this done ;)

The 2001 R6 I picked up two weeks ago runs great though :) :) :)

I just took it for a spin and it seems better than it was, i havent done any cleaning yet. Gonna strip it tomorrow and clean it anyway.

Ooooh R6....................Nice :)

It'll be at least another year before i get one of those or a CBR600 :rolleyes:

I've had a couple versions of CBR600's

had the problem described twice....

once is when a needle diaphragm in the carb was stuck and wouldn't move...

and the other was at a race at Road Atlanta and somehow a plastic bag got sucked in the air intake and blocked airflow....

could be a dirty or over-oiled airfilter too....

I was thinking it could be air filter related too, but i just cleaned it last week. It's been like this for a month at least, but i thought nothing of it. Last time somebody tipped my bike, it was flooded, i think this could have contributed as it hasnt felt the same since. So it probably is just a dirty carb :rolleyes:

Edit......I cleaned the carb and fired it back up and it's even worse :(

When i go over 50% throttle now, the engine drops revs really quickly and stalls. Im not too sure what else can cause this, anybody got any clue? :unsure:

Edited by HomerJaySimpson

When your carbs are clean they should be readjusted. They were probably set with a slight buid up of varnish or crud and now that you cleaned them completly, they need to be reset to stock. Also might be your floats stuck. When you throttle your bowl doesn't have time to fill and is sucked dry. Also could be it needs more oxygen and less fuel. What is it? I've had many different bikes in the past. Got a beater now though. 1982 Honda XL250R On and Off road. An awesome bike for doing a little of each. SuperTrapp III tail with NO baffles is loud! Love it on the highway. So loud.

Well i got a new spark plug onto it and put a really tight clip on the hose to the carb. It runs as it was running before, it still loses some power on full throttle, but at least it goes now and doesnt stall. The guy in the bike shop thinks my exhaust may be carbon fouled. I guess i could buy a new one or put it in a fire and burn it out. I was gonna try riding without the exhaust, but it would be way too loud. So if it runs till next week when i get paid, ill just leave it into the bikeshop and let them deal with it.

Thanx for the help and advice, much appreciated. Hope i can return the favour if any you guys have probs with your comps :D

Sounds like despite all of the advice we came up with, it was the bike shop guy who really figured it out!

Whats wrong with it being louder than all heck?

Well, it annoys old people, :D , but worse, if you don't have some back pressure, engine damage follows.