Which Is Better, Optical Or Digital Din?

ShadowPaktu

I was wonderign this, cos i have both these connections on my speaker system, plus i have it on my audigy zs box 'o' tricks, and was wondering what gives the best quality for games??? (only cos it take too friggin long to change it in doom)

Optic is the way to go. If you can afford a good home receiver and 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system, imagine the deepth of sound you will or could have playing Doom3. Trust me, playing Doom3 with my 6.2 system is frightning!!!

Aaron

lmao, a optical cable is also called a Toslink cable. The other is called a coaxial digital cable (it looks like a thick video cable). I have used both in the past and you can't really hear any difference at all. Just be careful with the optical cable(e.g. dont bend it too much) as the fibre optic strands inside can break.

Just be careful with the optical cable(e.g. dont bend it too much) as the fibre optic strands inside can break.

NOWW he tells me.,.. even though i dont have a optical receiver someone gave me a optical cabel and well I spooled it... :( NOOOO!!!! oh well... :P

Edited by Duff Man

there's isn't an audio quality difference between co-ax and fibre-optic... it's a digital signal... so there's isn't the difference like analogue (i spent about $120 on cables between my amps, cd, tape, decks, mixer - because analogue cables can make it sound good or bad)

and so is the co-ax one... s/pdif is the signal... toslink as mentioned earlier is the name of the optical connector system commonly used...

a digital signal can be light or electronic signals... s/pdif can be both...

saying optical is better than co-ax is like saying if you write with a blue pen you get a different message than if you write with a black pen...

Ok, so one more thing, on my audigy zx plat pro, with the box, it has optical in and out on the front, i have an optical connecter vie my 5700 set of creative, and would like to use it, but the sound only seems to come out as stereo speaker on the tests and it gets upmixed via the back in music etc, plus with the digital din, if i have it set to dolby pro it sound crap, but on the fourpoint din setting it sounds not clear. Also, the really wierd bit, i went into my nforce apu center, the nvmixer desk on the ocntrol panel, and i could hear noises from my speakers when testing it! it aint even pluged into the onboard sound!!! lol

So now im really confused and am miffed cos im using the digital din.

I have 3 digital connectors on the back of my speaker, ones an optical, another is coaxial, the other is digital din, I take it the best is optical, the worst (or least best) is coaxial? Ijust wanna get optical to work! *sniff*

- uninstall the NVidia audio drivers/software

- enable digital output and set the speakers to 5.1

mine (on my sblive platinum 5.1) looks like this:

(edit: i don't have it set like that though since i don't have a digital amp)