Do You Need To Get The Cpu Cold Or Not To Hot?

greenguava

Is it enough to keep the cpu and other chips and boards at a stable temp to OC them, or is the lower temp a direct atribute to the amount you can OC it?

Lower is better. Lower temps allow you to run higher Vcore, and thus higher OC. Each chip has a limit. Keeping them cool, can help you get to it. Say for instance, you have a 3.0ghz chip that can do 4.5ghz at 1.75 volts. Well, you can't run 1.75 volts on air. I think you can on water, and I know you can with phase change. So, you'd be limited to probably around 4ghz on that chip with air cooling. Maybe 4.2ghz with water. But you ifyou have a 3.0ghz chip that can only go to 3.5ghz, then you will only get 3.5ghz, no matter how cold you keep it and how much Vcore you run. So, yeah, in general, the colder you keep it, the higher you should be able to go.

so the amount you can OC the chip is based on how cold you get it (and still be with in its operating temps, BTW what are the operating temp specs?)

I thought it was just to keep it at a operating temp when OCing it, and the reason to get it so cold was to offset the heat generated when OCing.

The reason im asking, is I am working with my friend to build a super efficent heat transfer case that will keep everything (mobo, chip, vid card, memory) very cold, and will be able to transfer heat well, but im not sure how cold we can get the whole rig. :foldon:

My understanding is that colder allows for better OCing becasue you can safely run more Vcore. Also, it helps to keep it more stable at any given speed. If you are going all out for cooling, get a vapochill for your CPU and use a water cooled pelt for your GPU and a water block on the NB. That will result in below ambient temps and should make for some massive OCing.

I was actually going to have a aluminum case machined for the non moving parts and submerse the mobo, ram, vid card and anything else that dosn't move in Fluorinert and build into the case channels to run refrigerant through to super cool the case, there by giving the chips and boards the most surface area to be cooled and give the liquid the most surface area to be chilled while keeping it in a small compact (for this type of application) footprint.