And I Thought Peolpe Were Exaggerating...

Everyone on the Abit forums are always bitching about the temps being wrong. I thought they were all just being drama queens till i found this test Abit Vs Asus. Well im not as worried about my temps as i was. Only one problem though, the abit board throttles down the cpu at anything over 60c :(

Very intersting read. I have the same motherboard as you do and run about 52-53*C load (two instances of [email protected]) according to Hardware Doctor. After reading this and another post which I can't find now, I am not too concerned about my temps anymore.

I have an abit IC7 and I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with it. I flashed the bios with the supposed fix for the incorrect temp readings but it didn't work. In the bios the CPU idled at 59 C with 1.32 vcore! How the hell do u deal with something like that. My motherboard temp sensor reports 29C(88F) which according to my case temp display is correct.

not to be a jerk or anything but the way that guy mounted that temp probe still wont give 100% accurate temps -

the temp sensor is right in the middle of a cold side and a hot side - so its going to give the average temp reading of the heatsink and processor --- the best place to stick a temp probe is directly at the base of the processor

its tricky to do and shouldnt be done by someoen that is new to wiring small wires - by threading the temp probe between the heatsink and processor and lodging it right next to the silicone of your processor you will have a more accurate reading than drilling a hole in your heatsink

an even better place to read a processors temps is directly behind the processor - some thermal probes will allow you to "weave" the leads between the pins on your processor - just make sure that they are insulated first - by afixing a SMALL SMALL dab of some silicone glue you can mount the probe directly on the processor - this is the most accurate way of telling temps ----

by mounting your probe directly to the processor you will actually read temps HIGHER than what the mobo says unless there is a definate glitch - but since motherboard temp sensors have about 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the diode/thermistor and the back of the processor - having your temp probe right on the processor will show a higher temp

some motherboard manufacturers took this "gap" into concideration and "adjusted" the temp readings - only thing is that not every puter is designed/built the same way and differences in air flow will affect the over all readings

to get an accurate temp reading you dont want ANY air reaching your temp probe or else this will cool it down giving you an innacurate reading

Only one problem though, the abit board throttles down the cpu at anything over 60c :(

I remember seeing a setting in the bios of my Abit IC7-G that allowed me to adjust the degree of thermal throttling. I haven't played around with the setting yet but you could always try setting it to 0%

I left the degree of throttling at the default (50%?) and just set the warning and shutdown temps with the warning 5c below the shutdown (60c and 65c respectively). Afaik a Northwood will start throttling down the cpu at 70c no matter what you set in BIOS. I think the throttling temp for Prescott is higher.

Afaik a Northwood will start throttling down the cpu at 70c no matter what you set in BIOS. I think the throttling temp for Prescott is higher.

yeah but at least by disabling it in the bios you have a few more degrees to play with before it starts throttling.

not to be a jerk or anything but the way that guy mounted that temp probe still wont give 100% accurate temps -

the temp sensor is right in the middle of a cold side and a hot side - so its going to give the average temp reading of the heatsink and processor --- the best place to stick a temp probe is directly at the base of the processor

its tricky to do and shouldnt be done by someoen that is new to wiring small wires - by threading the temp probe between the heatsink and processor and lodging it right next to the silicone of your processor you will have a more accurate reading than drilling a hole in your heatsink

an even better place to read a processors temps is directly behind the processor - some thermal probes will allow you to "weave" the leads between the pins on your processor - just make sure that they are insulated first - by afixing a SMALL SMALL dab of some silicone glue you can mount the probe directly on the processor - this is the most accurate way of telling temps ----

by mounting your probe directly to the processor you will actually read temps HIGHER than what the mobo says unless there is a definate glitch - but since motherboard temp sensors have about 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the diode/thermistor and the back of the processor - having your temp probe right on the processor will show a higher temp

some motherboard manufacturers took this "gap" into concideration and "adjusted" the temp readings - only thing is that not every puter is designed/built the same way and differences in air flow will affect the over all readings

to get an accurate temp reading you dont want ANY air reaching your temp probe or else this will cool it down giving you an innacurate reading

:withstupid:

But, can the silicone withstand high temps that a CPU would output? I was thinking you could use something like Arctic Alumina to attach the probe (obviously it would be permanent).