Ms Piracy Problem

bigred

well here's the deal. I have a system in the shop that NEEDS windows reloaded... among other things (gaming system: 1.3ghz duron, 16mb tnt2, 512mb ddr, 20gb 5400rpm... it's only 4 months old). anyhow when pulling the cd key for reinstall I found it to be a corporate (pirated) key.

usually I'd be a little more forgiving on this subject... however this computer shop that used to be down the street, has been nothing but a pain in the arse. he started with a booth at the local trade show... bought most of his parts from me in the early days. cried about prices. yelled at my employees when something wasn't in stock. said he'd "put me out of business" when he opened his store (he was out of buisness in less than 3 months).

anyhow I've been getting a few of his former customers bringing in machines he "built" for them as "new". the first customer ended up dropping an additional $1400 to have his system repaired and setup the way HE wanted it. This one today was complaining that his system would not play doom3, and that was one of the things he specifically had the machine built for. as it turns out he's not even close to playable.

now comes the dilema. keep my mouth shut, or do I call up the old bosses and let em know what was going on, or let the customer know he was ripped off in a serious manner and let him contact MS?

I would talk to your boss since the other guy might think you are doing it as a revenge tactic . You getting my idea? So I suggest the best thing to do is talk to your boss and explain what is going on. That is what they are for.

I hate people like that...

Anyways...Did you get the CD Key from the Customer who brought the system in, and you're implying that the guy down the street was selling computers with pirated versions of Windows?

And I just re-read your message...I'd let the customers know they've been ripped somethin harsh. They will for sure be venting ALL OVER you, but what're you gonna say? Get the home address of the guy who sold them their computers at horrible crappy assed prices, and they can deal with him :ph34r:

If a competitor tried to screw me and his customers, and someone made me aware of it. I'd report 'em to http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx

There's no excuse for selling pirated software. Then again, I come from a background where my bonus checks came from the software we developed and sold.

It was always disappointing to find our software in a chinese blister pack for 15$ a week after release and the stores that did it almost never got prosecuted.

I talked to the customer about it. nice part is MS is granting him a FREE copy of xp home edition for the info he gave them. well they actually sent him a # to use with an OEM copy of the disk.

apparently this guy also took 4 months to build this system :(

I have a feeling this one is gonna end up on the local "problem solvers" section of the news in the near future. I've got a dozen customers of MINE who are pissed at the other guy. I'm gonna have a fun time with this one :) I hate the trade shows and all the ripped off stuff they sell there... I hate people who come in and think I OWE them a discount... and I hate these guys that think they can run a computer store BETTER than me in my own backyard!