Choices Choices?

andrusk

Right now I have a decent job at a company called avnet. I dont really like my job, I just build computers all day.

They just switched us from 3rd shift to 1st first without any warning and I hate all of the first shift crew. This job only pays $11 an hour, but it is a consistent 40 hour a week job.

However, I just got an interview for a 3 month contract position that pays $22.50 an hour for installing and upgrading cisco routers. I figure, that is a hell of a lot of money and I could really use the on the job experience.

Im just wondering what you guys think. Should I stick with the crappy but consitent job, or move on to more money, and better experience, while not a guarenteed position later. What do you guys think?

ill be 19 next week

The major factor that matters for me is that I really dont even need a job. So I think it would be better to get some on the job experience.

Edited by andrusk

Take the contract job, IF, you are sure you can do a good job both on the technical side, but on the people-skills side as well.

If you're an introvert, or a wanker, don't take the new job because they'll can ya quick ;)

If you don't really need the job and won't be homeless or foodless if you don't get something after the 3 month job. Go for it.

Just remember "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Choose, but choose wisely.

Thx for the advice so far.

Luckily, I am very geeky, but I have the people skills as well. After all, before I was a technician I was a salesman at two jobs and my dad has been a salesman his whole life. I think im gonna go for the contract job. Im calling the people right now.

Wish me luck ;)

I would say stay where you are......Then again, it's your choice. Speaking of jobs, one of the contracts im working on has just got pulled and i may be jobless next week. I've been offered a sales job in Cisco though.........i guess were all just spoiled for choice :)

We'll, you've probably called them on the contract job, but just in case you haven't made your decision, I'd say go for the money!

The clincher is where you stated you didn't "need" the job. The experience is always good, and Cisco is more of a niche technical skill than building PCs. No, I'm not knocking the assembly job, but saying to try for something that fewer people know how to do. I've got a niche job, and its better odds getting another job doing that than a sysadmin post.

I've had several contracting jobs, and I really like the flexibility of it - especially when there's a chance to hire - then it's like an extended interview of the company! As soon as you get in with a contract company, there is almost always more opportunities when the first contract is done. If you get good feedback from the customer, there's a great chance of a quick re-hire.

Good luck!

Oh yeah - netops peoples don't like it too much when you make jokes about 'cable stretchers' for some reason...

I would say go for the money at this point. You make twice as much and if you ration the money you make you can spend 3 months looking for another job and not go broke. Like cybergrunt said, niche jobs give you an edge that is hard to come by these days in a tight IT field. Find a specialty, learn it well and people will seek you for your skills.

I say get the "XP points" level up and get a +1 bonus in computer dexterity and gain immunity from any low level crappy tech job position spells. *Note they also make scrolls for immunity, they are called "diplomas". :P

Good luck, it seems like a great opportunity.

I am currently a level 3 computer user with a +3 OC ability added to my thaco 1D20 roll...

I should stop talking.