Overclocking And Prime95

cdoggown

I was given a Celly D 2.53GHz processor, an Albatron 865PE Pro Mobo and a MSI FX5700 Graphics card for my birthday yesterday. It is all installed and I am messing around with overclocking today (my first attempt EVER) and had a couple questions.

1. When you guys say "under load", would running Prime95's torture test be considered "under load"?

2. When running the torture test @ 3.00GHz, CPUCool reports my CPU temp at up to 67 degrees after 35 mins of the test. I stopped the test because this seems very hot to me. I am just running the stock heatsink until my Thermaltake and AS5 come in from newegg and zipzoomfly respectively. Do you think it would be safe at this temp to continue running, or should I step it down until these things arrive?

3. When I OC past 3.00, the system will POST, and then try to load windows and just reboot in a continuous cycle. I read on one of your posts (you guys are always so informative) that if I increase my voltage the CPU would be able to handle more. Is this my problem? I increased it by one step, but it didnt help.

4. I have read of people hitting 3.8 to 4.2GHz with this chip on air cooling. I have a single 120mm exhaust fan. Do you think I would need a side panel fan or a top "blowhole"? If so, what size side panel fan should I use and should it blow in or out and should i be centered over the CPU, memory, or Vid card? I currently have no plans to OC my video card or memory.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have always gotten great information here and think of this community as a fantastic resource to learn. Thank you all in advance.

67c on load is a bit hot, wait for your new heatsink and AS5 before going further. What type of memory are you running? Increasing the Voltage to the Vcore will help to stabilize the system, but will make the core hotter.

1) Yes under load means when the processor is running at 100%.

2) That is a little hot. But the Celeron D's use the Presscot core so thats expected. I would turn down your OC a little until your new cooling supplies arrives.

3) Could be voltage also could be the Heat. So wait till your new cooling comes in to step up your voltage.

4) If you could put a 120mm side fan and 120mm Blowhole that would definetly help. Also when you up your FSB your are overclocking your CPU and your RAM.

Prime95 Torture test is as close to FULL CPU load you can get. I've got programs that use 100% of the CPU, but the Temp doesn't even get close to as hot as with the Prime95 Torture Test.

As far as overclocking that thing goes, I wouldn't. Set is back to stock, and ESPECIALLY don't raise your voltage cause you're getting close to a cooked chip.

What ThermalTake heatsink are you getting?

I am using a generic stick of 512MB DDR333 memory i got off newegg for 70 bucks 12 months ago. I am waiting on this heatsink

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=370400

The only reason I got this chip was because people are raving about what a great overclocking chip it is, they say the only one better is a 2500+ but I wanted to stick with Intel this time around.

If I do a 120MM on the side should it blow in on the components or out? I am in Seattle where there is considerably less dust than where I used to live in Phoenix, but still...

here are your answers:

1) Yeah (already been answered)

2) Those celeron D's are the prescott core, which runs hot anyways. 67c full load seems about right for stock cooling (and new as5) But don't get me wrong, i'd be uncomfortable with those temps as well. If i were your, i'd go with a better heatsink.

3) Your ram is holding you back. Which divider are you using? For major overclocking and hitting a really high fsb, you're going to need good ram. I would recommend at least pc 3500...and try for 4000. That's what could be holding you back, and also your temps. If you can keep those prescott core chips cool, you can hit amazingly high overclocks on those

4) The only thing you would do by adding more fans is just cool the processor more, which you could get a better result with a new heatsink. I would recommend the SP-97 or XP-120. Those people who hit that high have the best heatsink you can buy.

I hope that helps.

Now im not familiar with the term divider. Also, what brand of memory goes that high. I had been planning on buying corsair twinX Pro memory at PC3200 but if you guys say i need faster then ill look into it.

The "Toast" program gets my CPU 3C hotter than any of the prime95 tourture tests. It's good for max temp testing, but not as good for stability testing as it doesn't report errors.

The divider being refered to is a memory ratio to run the ram at a speed slower than the FSB. It will usually be listed as 5:4, 3:2, with the first number being the FSB and the second being the memory speed. For example if your FSB is 200 and you set the ratio or divider to 5:4 the memory will run at 166MHz (DDR333/PC2700).

I wouldn't bother with the corsair, get less expensive, but still brand name, PC4000.

Okay, I recieved my heatsink and AS5 today (newegg and zipzoomfly kick butt) and it dropped my temps to 41C at idle and 49C during the torture test. Do you guys still think I will need better memory to up my voltage and try to hit 3.8?