Harddrive Detection Error

Da1BadBoy

This is my first post on overclockers.Lots of great info on this site.Glad i stumbled across it.

I have another pc i use for hosting a nascar 2003 server.Recently for some reason it wouldnt boot up.I figured the hard drive had gone out.One of our league members sent me a hard drive to use to replace it.He says he tested it before he shipped to make sure it was good.Well i installed it and bios tells me its there but i cant get it to format.Once it gets ready to create a partition it halts and tells me no hard drive detected.So then i assumed it was the motherboard has gone out.Then i decided to go ahead and upgrade my gaming pc.I put my cpu , motherboard , ram and power supply out of it into the server pc.Still get the same results.I proceeded in changing out all cables to see if that was the problem.I had a spare cdrom so i changed that out also to see if that was causing it.Same results :(!!!!After replacing my parts in my gaming pc it works fine.I have built several pcs but never seen nothing like this.Ive rechecked all settings as far as jumpers.The hard drive light flickers during intial pc start up.Im wondering if the motherboard is grounding out.If so would that damage anything else?

Could the actual hard drive be grounding? I'm not sure, but it sounds like when the hard drive tries to work, it is grounded and can't. How does the drive mount in your case? If it mounts with screws, try getting some plastic washers you can put between the drive cage and the drive itself.

Sometimes the biggest problems are the easiest ones to fix. ;)