Memory FAQ

i really would like to know what it is about the production of ddr3 memory that makes it so expensive? i've been looking at possibly upgrading to high performance/high speed ddr3 on one of my rigs but it seems it's just not cost effective to switch. is it just that it's hard to manufacture ddr3 or are the manufacturers taking advantage of the opportunity to capitalize on new technology.....

• 2 months later...
i really would like to know what it is about the production of ddr3 memory that makes it so expensive? i've been looking at possibly upgrading to high performance/high speed ddr3 on one of my rigs but it seems it's just not cost effective to switch. is it just that it's hard to manufacture ddr3 or are the manufacturers taking advantage of the opportunity to capitalize on new technology.....

I would think it is mostly the fact that they are capatilizing on new technology. Just like any other technology the price will drop. When that great new CPU was $600 now its $300 do you think the price of manufacturing changed? Probably very little if any.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What would be the benefit of using T1 or T2 ??? and i have kingston hyper x dual channel 1066 the kingston says the factory settings should be 5-5-5-15 how would i know exactly how low to start out dropping the rate or should i leave them alone? i have 8 gigs of ram on a amd6000+ OC to 3.41

• 2 months later...

Hey

I need a clarification on something

Ive got XP32 in my system for now, becuase I was waiting for newegg to throw in the free win7 upgrade coupon to windows vista (which newegg now has) so I can get 2 birds with one stone.

I've used memory on Windows XP/

When I install vista, will I get all the memory in my machine or will the memory I've used with XP be deducted?

I dont think this will happen but a bit of clarification would be nice. I dont do OS changes often, or screw with memory. Im usually the guy with the graphics/sound/mobo advice.

Edited by Angryfpsplayer

• 1 month later...
Hey

I need a clarification on something

Ive got XP32 in my system for now, becuase I was waiting for newegg to throw in the free win7 upgrade coupon to windows vista (which newegg now has) so I can get 2 birds with one stone.

I've used memory on Windows XP/

When I install vista, will I get all the memory in my machine or will the memory I've used with XP be deducted?

I dont think this will happen but a bit of clarification would be nice. I dont do OS changes often, or screw with memory. Im usually the guy with the graphics/sound/mobo advice.

ALL your memory will be used by all your operating systems. So if you got 3gigs of memory xp will use 3 gigs and vista will use 3gigs. Do you plan on dual booting xp-vista?

You would still have to set paging separately though.

a question about voltages..

i have a gigabyte ga-ex58 ud3r which allows a 1.5v ddr3. if i use a ddr3 triple channel ram which has specs of 1.65v or above will it work without overclocking? is there a necessity for the voltages to match ? and i m new to overclocking.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about timings.

How do I generate my own timings without looking at other peoples n stuff. Do I just type random numbers (within what the ram can handle of course...not gonna try and make it 1-1-1-10 or something), or is there a formula or something that is used to generate timings.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have all the answers for you, but here's a couple of tips to get you started:

CL (Cas Latency) is determined by the chip manufacturer and usually cannot be lowered, but can be increased if needed.

Tras = Tcl + Trcd + Trp ie: CL 7-7-7 settings = Tras of 21 (+/- 1).

Trc = Tras + Tcl ie: CL 7 + Tras 21 = Trc of 28.

These are general rules of thumb and may have to be adjusted a little bit, depending on your particular memory,

but they should give you a starting point.

• 2 months later...

HI guys!! Ram prices r going up in malaysia and its still going up due to demand.im getting a core i5 system n my ram is still thinking.ok

here the option.kingston,corsair,kingmax,crucial,partiot,team,ocz,super talent,silicon power,mushkin and more u suggest.which one should i get.corsair has a good rep n performance.i want a good n value ram that also for ocing.so which? 1333 n 1600 is the max.msi p55 gd80 support duel channal only up to 16gb.i want like 4gb for now.help!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I just put the Phenom2 X4 940 into my Asus Crosshair. This setup does not like 4 sticks of RAM.

I'm a gamer (Not hardcore) and last night I had to remove 2 sticks.

This leaves me with 2GB of DDR2 800 of OCZ platinum and the rig can only run at 800mhz max..

I would like to purchase 2 sticks of 2GB to run 4GB.

The retailers have 4GB packs of DDR2 800 for $130 and they have 4GB packs of DD2 1066 for $200.

1) Can I use the 1066 or is it a waste of money?

2) If I can use 1066 pack is it usefull for a future upgrade?

regards........

edit: Had to upgrade as the Crosshair was dying. See my sig.

Edited by Cespenar