nVidia Video Card FAQ

Nerm

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about nVidia Video Cards.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

err, like a Q and A topics?

Ok

Q: What cheap card should i stear away from?

A: Any 5200 range card. There performance is on par with a much older GeForce 2 MX but with DX.9.0 capabilities. You can get far cheaper cards from the older ATi range such as the Radeon 7000, or just buy a refurb GeForce 3 Ti, or GeForce 4 MX.

Q: What are the better cards? or faster cards?

A: Nvidia try to keep things simple when numbering the 5xxx series of video cards. As you progress up the range (from 5200, 5500, 5600, etc up to the 5950) they get better and better (or at least that what they try to stick with)

Q: Is the XT the best type of card in the Nvidia range?

A: Unlike ATi, Nvidia took a cheeky marketing tactic and switched some suffixes around to mean different things. The ATi range use the XT suffix to mean the highest and top performance card of that rang (ie like the 9600, the 9600 XT is the best of the 9600 range). Nviaida on the other hand, uses the XT suffix to denote their 'lowest' and budgt type range of cards. The 5600 say is much more powerfull than the 5600 XT.

Q: What the heck are pipelines?

A: Well, generally all you need to know is that the more you have of them, the faster your card can process data, and that's a good thing as you can keep on pumping those polygons at a fast rate.

Q: Whats the 'best bang for your buck' card?

A: Depend what perfromance bracket your looking at. The GeForce 4 Ti (any of them, 4200, 4400, 4600 or 4800) are still really good cards for a second hand price, and would recommend them as they can still play most of the latest games, just not quite at full tilt or the highest resolutions. Another choice would be a 5900 XT, i know i said the XT are the lowest in the range, but these cards come in for a good price new, just shop around. They can also overclock well like any good card. The highest performer would by the 6800GT. In my opinion it's coming down in price weekly at the start of it's launch, and they fly off the shelves. It's unmatched in the price bracket, it also overclock to high hell so there's room for you to make it last longer.

lol, strange, thats all i can think of right now, ill submit more later on when my head screwedi n right :D

• 10 months later...

Q: Will 2 6800U/7800GTX on SLi heat up my system and themselves a lot, or since its SLi the load will be equally "spread" between them resulting in lower temps? Still with using good airflow and 2 80mm fans blowing directly on them

ps: on SLi, the top gpu's fan will be directly on top of the second card, will that be a problem?

Edited by grissom

• 3 months later...
err, like a Q and A topics?

Ok

Q: What cheap card should i stear away from?

A: Any 5200 range card.  There performance is on par with a much older GeForce 2 MX but with DX.9.0 capabilities.  You can get far cheaper cards from the older ATi range such as the Radeon 7000, or just buy a refurb GeForce 3 Ti, or GeForce 4 MX. 

Q: What are the better cards? or faster cards?

A:  Nvidia try to keep things simple when numbering the 5xxx series of video cards.  As you progress up the range (from 5200, 5500, 5600, etc up to the 5950) they get better and better (or at least that what they try to stick with)

Q: Is the XT the best type of card in the Nvidia range?

A:  Unlike ATi, Nvidia took a cheeky marketing tactic and switched some suffixes around to mean different things.  The ATi range use the XT suffix to mean the highest and top performance card of that rang (ie like the 9600, the 9600 XT is the best of the 9600 range).  Nviaida on the other hand, uses the XT suffix to denote their 'lowest' and budgt type range of cards.  The 5600 say is much more powerfull than the 5600 XT.

Q: What the heck are pipelines?

A: Well, generally all you need to know is that the more you have of them, the faster your card can process data, and that's a good thing as you can keep on pumping those polygons at a fast rate.

Q: Whats the 'best bang for your buck' card?

A: Depend what perfromance bracket your looking at.  The GeForce 4 Ti (any of them, 4200, 4400, 4600 or 4800) are still really good cards for a second hand price, and would recommend them as they can still play most of the latest games, just not quite at full tilt or the highest resolutions.  Another choice would be a 5900 XT, i know i said the XT are the lowest in the range, but these cards come in for a good price new, just shop around.  They can also overclock well like any good card.  The highest performer would by the 6800GT.  In my opinion it's coming down in price weekly at the start of it's launch, and they fly off the shelves.  It's unmatched in the price bracket, it also overclock to high hell so there's room for you to make it last longer.

lol, strange, thats all i can think of right now, ill submit more later on when my head screwedi n right :D

316866[/snapback]

um, get out of the year 1999, welcome to the future, anything pre-Series 6 isn't worth looking at unless you play CS 1.6 and never care to move forward

how about some relevant info on the cards anyone today would be looking to buy, i'll let you go first

Can anybody tell me where to get the latest nVidia overclock software?

The one I have is too old and its causing trouble to my computer.

THANKS.

583447[/snapback]

Rivatuner is probably the best, includes overclocking, hardware monitoring, etc.............

um, get out of the year 1999, welcome to the future, anything pre-Series 6 isn't worth looking at unless you play CS 1.6 and never care to move forward

how about some relevant info on the cards anyone today would be looking to buy, i'll let you go first

Rivatuner is probably the best, includes overclocking, hardware monitoring, etc.............

583500[/snapback]

Can you tell me where I can get it?

• 2 weeks later...

you do realize you responded to a year-old comment right? lol. fool

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, I am a novice and found this site. I do hope you can help me. I am not a gamer at all. But my Video card died and I have to replace it. I had no picture and a tech guy came to my house and brought a monitor as mine would not work. He did not have the exact type card and my monitor has 2 slots which his cards did not. Regardless, I had in the computer a Nvidia GeForce Ti4200G w TV out and DVI 128 MG. I found a used one on Ebay and was afraid to purchase a used one. I just want to get my picture back and when I took out the card, something broke off. So it is gone, so I was told. Can you please help me find something that is reasonable and would be compatable with my card. I am a Grandmother and am don't even know the terminology but I am a researcher and found this site. I do hope you can help me. I just don't want to get ripped off by the Tech guy . Thank you so much. I also have no idea how I would find the response to my question. I looked on Tiger Direct and Buy.com. This computer is about 6 years old but is fine for my usage. Thanks so much again. Best Regards, Suzy