Xp Won't Boot Or Reinstall

yian

long story. I run two hardrives, 60g for system and programs, 160g for files(music, videos, blah blah blah) last weekend i finally downloaded a copy of Mandrake linux, reformatted the 60 split it and installed linux on half and xp on half. it made things screwy. made my 60 as drive E: even though it was primary drive. well with issues in linux I decided it was not time for me to run it, and i hated everything being e:\program files\etc.

I didn't wanna lose what work i had on xp so I used Partition Magic 8 to erase the linux partition then merge them, then to switch the drive letters. that is when things went crazy.

I still had the linux boot loader but i couldn't get into linux or xp. So i finally gave in and was going to just wipe the drive. I tried running xp install disk but it would keep coming up with this blue screen that says "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

So i decided to use the win98 disk to reformat that drive, but at dos prompt i can't find any drives.

so i hooked the 60 up to my other computer as a secondary. after many reformats, reinstalls, and frustration i got xp to install on the 60 and run perfectly fine on my old comp. but as soon as i hook it up to my main system i get that blue screen, and i get it any thing i do. try install to 160, install on 60, boot existing xp from 60. I have no idea what to do now. I am ready to through it out the window.

I know that was long but maybe the key to the problem is early in the chaos.

thanks for any help

edit: please help, i rellay hope people just missed it first time around. thank you

Edited by yian

Linux will take over the Windows part of the portion. You should use one drive for Windows and one for Linux. You can put Linux on the 60 and Windows on the 160 and you shouldn't have a problem.

I had a similar problem with an Win98SE/Linux dual boot on one HD. I never could figure out how to get rid of Linux without the Linux boot loader deal screwing everything up. Seperate drives seems to be the way to go.

That was a long post so you seems the point might have been missed, sorry about it.

I don't care about linux anymore, i am gonna put it on another system. the problem is i reformated the 60 like a dozen times, and winxp or 2k will not install at all, 98 will, but the others won't. unless i hook the hardrive to my other computer and install XP throught hat but, then i put the hard drive back and it crashes again. it seems like any time i try narrowing down a specific part, i find out it can't be that part, or so i believe. I just can't figure out why i can't get xp back on my system.

thanks