Should Occ Change It's Name

suchuwato

Should OCC Change It's Name?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should OCC Change It's Name?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm a fool who likes to vote but has no real opinion

As a business owner.......I'm going to advise that if you change the name of this site.....it will need a major overhaul on the look and feel of it as well..........with change.....progress must follow. Just my American 2 cents worth

Why is that? The only prob Matt is having is because of the name. The site undergoes changes all the time to make it better..thats a constant thing. The mods are working overtime on that. But I don't see why....if you're just changing something as superficial as the name...why must EVERYTHING undergo a major overhaul?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure if you know anything about web design and advertising CelticaFLM......but people get bored with an interface very quickly. Ask anyone that works for America Online's design dept. I'm sure Matt would like to pull in some money from advertisers and the only way to do that is to make sure that the traffic to the site is steady and growing. The site is fantastic...for what is it.......but its not very appealing to the average person who has no idea what "overclocking" is.....my personal advice...would be to make the slogan of the site a bit of a teaser, but an informative to someone who has no clue what you are talking about when you state "overclocking to the next level"....maybe something like "taking computers to places they've never been" would be something more fitting for the all around web surfer......I love this site's Forum....but that is about it for me personally....I build sites all the time for people...and alot of the time for free.....and honestly I'd love to see this site grow beyond everyone's expectations. I may sound like a bit of a jerk....and I do apologize for that, but I'd like to stick my neck out and say that the site needs more "toys" for a lack of better saying.

Edit: and "taking computers to places they've never been" is rediculous! lol scratch that..but you get my point

Folding@Home, SETI@Home, TKC, and other things will change names too. It's possible to change the name w/o losing the score/rank/points.

The forums, staff, and the site isn't something that is changing. We will still be what we are now. We'll just be a new name. :)

With a new name comes the hope that it will open doors for us that were once closed due to a word, and should also allow us to bring you more reviews. :)

Asus: We're not 3dgameman. In fact, we have a much higher daily traffic rank than 3dgameman. We also announce reviews on the home page. First it's listed in the "Latest Reviews" section of the web site, then it's also listed in the daily news.

you dont get what im saying lol.. to be a review site, we need a better method of desplaying the reviews that OCC does.. and i just thought a nicer layout of the site may be in order.. im not saying we shoud go copy 3dgameman, but there are good sites out there that we can learn from when it comes to reviews.. i think this is the best forum.. and the only forum i will go to.. but, for reviews, we need to become more modern.. and yes we do display reviews, but not our current reviews on the main page.. like all the time.. because we dont get 134 things a week to review.. but im just saying, if OCC is more oriented around "OUR" reviews, then mabe intel ect. .would be more inclined to dontae a chip or so for a review.. thats all..

keep the name overclockersclub.. dont change it.. its a great name, and it would be stupid to change it and think were going to get more reviews.. personally, if a co. things the reviews are good, and promote there hardware/softwere ect.. why would they care about the name if its not demeaning to there product??

QUOTE (Dr_Frankenstein @ Aug 14 2004, 04:51 PM)

also i think we need to show the manufacturers that we can do good reviews by beefing up the homepage with big reviews done by ourselves, and get some more sites such as hardOCP and alike to link to our reviews, obviously even if we changed our name its still gonna take some time to get people to send hardware for reviewing

and yes we do display reviews, but not our current reviews on the main page.. like all the time.. because we dont get 134 things a week to review.. but im just saying, if OCC is more oriented around "OUR" reviews, then mabe intel ect. .would be more inclined to dontae a chip or so for a review.. thats all..

What the heck?? I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

"Our reviews" are displayed on the main page. :unsure:

honestly....the name "overclockers club" is not appealing to Intel..because their sales are not geared toward "overclockers." Intel gears their sales towards two people. The majority of their sales are geared towards that guy who will drop top dollar for a chip that already performs well..and doesn't need to be overclocked..and they gear the other portion to company's like Emachines/Dell/Compaq/HP who can sell their crappy leftover chips in large quantities

i'm not sure if you know anything about web design and advertising CelticaFLM......but people get bored with an interface very quickly.  Ask anyone that works for America Online's design dept.  I'm sure Matt would like to pull in some money from advertisers and the only way to do that is to make sure that the traffic to the site is steady and growing.  The site is fantastic...for what is it.......but its not very appealing to the average person who has no idea what "overclocking" is.....my personal advice...would be to make the slogan of the site a bit of a teaser, but an informative to someone who has no clue what you are talking about when you state "overclocking to the next level"....maybe something like "taking computers to places they've never been" would be something more fitting for the all around web surfer......I love this site's Forum....but that is about it for me personally....I build sites all the time for people...and alot of the time for free.....and honestly I'd love to see this site grow beyond everyone's expectations.  I may sound like a bit of a jerk....and I do apologize for that, but I'd like to stick my neck out and say that the site needs more "toys" for a lack of better saying.

Edit:  and "taking computers to places they've never been"  is rediculous! lol scratch that..but you get my point

Yah I get your point..the slogan thing would have to change too by the way....but this site was based on the whole overclocking thing. I mean the site hasn't stopped growing in the few years i've been here. It's been a steady increase....and as most people who come here learn...there's more than just oc'ing. You find reviews, hardware, software, programming etc etc. And I dont think a site needs to be flashy to keep people's interest. I personally don't like a site that changes it's colors layout all the time...but thats just me. I like to get use to things..then I want them to stay that way. Looking at the site from an artistic and practical standpoint.....colors go well together....things look neat and organized...looks professional...doesn't have a lot of fufu graphics etc. It's chock full of info...not just a bunch of "eye candy" and filler or whatever you want to call it. I don't think we're looking to attract just anyone...it's for people who know a little something about computers and for those who want to learn about computers...IMHO I just think everything works well...I love the name...but if its causing probs then change it...but it will always be "OCC". Just the name thats going to change.

And Thank you so much for your last post goonie..people dont seem to be understanding that.

honestly....the name "overclockers club" is not appealing to Intel..because their sales are not geared toward "overclockers." Intel gears their sales towards two people. The majority of their sales are geared towards that guy who will drop top dollar for a chip that already performs well..and doesn't need to be overclocked..and they gear the other portion to company's like Emachines/Dell/Compaq/HP who can sell their crappy leftover chips in large quantities

Thank You :) I'm glad someone else understands this.

We're getting a lot of good name suggestions, please keep posting them!

As we love the name OCC....it is still a throwoff for people who have no clue.........to attract new people...they need to have a clue....and it needs to appeal......as the site grows.......so does the expense of maintaining it.....and that brings the need for advertising to ease the load from the owners wallet.....from a business standpoint.....some changes need to be made........instead of fighting it.......post your suggestions.....and lets mold this dang thing into something unstoppable

As we love the name OCC....it is still a throwoff for people who have no clue.........to attract new people...they need to have a clue....and it needs to appeal......as the site grows.......so does the expense of maintaining it.....and that brings the need for advertising to ease the load from the owners wallet.....from a business standpoint.....some changes need to be made........instead of fighting it.......post your suggestions.....and lets mold this dang thing into something unstoppable

thank you thank you thank you!!! :wub:

and yes we do display reviews, but not our current reviews on the main page.. like all the time.. because we dont get 134 things a week to review.. but im just saying, if OCC is more oriented around "OUR" reviews, then mabe intel ect. .would be more inclined to dontae a chip or so for a review.. thats all..

What the heck?? I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

"Our reviews" are displayed on the main page. :unsure:

this is what im suggesting.. lol.. dont get mad because this is from 3dgameman, but i think this would be very effective.. again.. dont get mad.. this is just a suggestion.. so people who come by the site, not to often, or dont pay any atention to the news, can easally see the reviews, "current" 2..

How is that different than what we do? :blink: You mean the pix? Bah.. that's an unneded waste of resources.

well.. "articals" for one, makes it seam like its not a review.. and i think the pic actually lets someone see.. do i realy want to read this?? i think it adds a nice touch..