66-ish Mustang

Some_Guy_

My wife has told me on many occasions that she likes the 64/65/66/67 Mustangs. When I say many, I mean a couple times a week.

So, I'm planning a covert operation... a purchase of a junker pony, and a total re-build. I don't mean a perfectionist restoration, more like making it look great and be perfectly drivable. If that means slapping in an engine from a 84 T-bird, so be it.

Anyway, I need to figure out how to keep this all under wraps. I need to first buy the car, store it somewhere, and explain why I'm gone for hours at a time, a couple days a week, for a few years. And the constant, slow drain on our bank account.

I plan on surprising her on her birthday with a set of keys to her shiny ice blue/white top, preferably convertible but hardtop is okay, 65/66ish mustang, which would be parked in the garage.

So... am I crazy for wanting to do something like this as a surprise?

Great idea, but I think it would be tricky to hide. You can always have part of your paycheck put into a seperate account that you creat, just say your earning less. Not sure if you get paid hourly or have a set monthly pay but it might work.

money drain, gone for hours at a time.... hmm, she might think your gettin bored with her if you know what I mean... but you should be able to do it pretty easilly...

you could also tell her that you are going to take care of the bills for a wile and she dosent have to mess with it, kinda a double birthday gift

I sure envy you starting a project like that, but I think it'll be enough work just to do it, you don't need to also have go to extremes to keep it a secret. Secrets require way to much energy.

i think the potential problems of the project outweigh the benefits. buy one in decent condition that'll only take about 2-3 weeks of work, and pretend you have joined a :lol: bowling leauge :lol: or something

buy one already restored... For a few grand you can probley pick up a decesent one... Your gunna be putting the same ammount of money into one you restore yourself..

:withstupid:

IT actually costs more to do it yourself, people restore cars for the love of it,and to make it there car, not to make money, or save money.

Go onto Ebay and look at them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2&category=6236

this is a good one, middle of the road, it realitivly good shape. Can give it to her now and make it a project you both can work on.

Yep, you can get some good deals on mustangs that have already been restored...less time and money too trust me...I restored a 1980 monte carlo....i put $20K into it....alot of time and sweat....cuts, bruises....sold it for $12K US....God I miss that car :(

I see what you guys are saying. I know it would be much easier to just get one that's done, or in good shape to begin with.

I'm not doing this to make money, nor am I trying to make it pristine. I don't care if it's all original or anything. If it looks like a 60s mustang, and my wife can drive it, then that's all that really matters.

That's why I was thinking junker... I can weld/sheetmetal fab/bondo to my heart's content, for a minimal cost. Powertrain would be pulled from any vehicle as I see fit. Cost ~ $400 for a decent engine and trans from a local wrecker. Don't need to be original by any means.

A decent paint job, some seats out of a Mazda or anything... total cost, under 6 Gs is what I'm thinking.

Buuutttt... I would be willing to look into something in better condition too.

It's not like I'm ready to go ahead with this right now, I'm just looking at possibilities.

You should be able to pick up a desent car for 6g's.....I have seen them going for $10g-15g cdn.....and they are in great shape and all origional...Try to get one with the origional motor, tranny and gauges....later down the road you may wanna restore the car and having the origional components will make it worth alot more....