Modded Optical Mouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, went to radio shack, got a 3.7volt LED. Im ready to rock. I took the case off my mouse, took that little bar that blocks access to the LED off, but now, I dont know how to get into the old LED safely. It seems to be encased in plastic...What did you do? If i can get that out, what did you do to get the old LED off the board. Cut them?

:Edit: NM, got it to work, my mouse is quite blue now :Edit:

-Knux spent 20 mins trying to find where a spring went

Alright, went to radio shack, got a 3.7volt LED. Im ready to rock. I took the case off my mouse, took that little bar that blocks access to the LED off, but now, I dont know how to get into the old LED safely. It seems to be encased in plastic...What did you do? If i can get that out, what did you do to get the old LED off the board. Cut them?

:Edit: NM, got it to work, my mouse is quite blue now :Edit:

-Knux spent 20 mins trying to find where a spring went

lets see some picture man

I wish I had a camera....Actually, i might be able to get one tonight to have enough time to take some pictures of my case and of the mod. I'm also doin a Green LED mouse mod tonight for this dude i know, and maybe ill get it airbrushed black with some sort of green design on it....Any Suggestions?

-Knux needs to go to sleep

After about 6 burns, 3 trips to radio shack, 2 trips to Office Max, I realized one cannot use a green LED in a optical mouse...

My story: I was tellin my friend about this thread and about how i put the blue LED in my mouse, and he was like, DUDE! I want one, but do they have green? I was like, uh...yeah, i can do that. He payed me 8 bucks and gave me his mouse. I went to radio shack and checked out their limited LED selection. It sucked, hardcore... The only greens they had were 25mc (i dont remember the letter, but it means brightness) I looked over at the blue one i used and it said 2600. I thought this was a little odd, but 2 for 99 cents, who cares....

Took it home, soldered it, check it, and the light barely even came on. I removed it carefully and tested the other one, and it was also just as dim. This pissed me off, and when i tryed to put the red led back in, i burned through the connector too long. FRIED

I was like...@(*&^#(#^*@ , but i didnt wanna get my friend upset so i went to office max and bought another one for 20 bucks. Then went to radio shack across town to check out their LEDs. They had alot more. I saw a better LED. 630mwhatevers. I took that home, with another blue LED, just in case. Got home, busted open the new mouse, but when i pulled the old pins out from the red LED, i exposed the connector. After about 30 mins trying to save the mouse, I got it, but when i put everything back in the case, the soldering must have been to close to the bottom of the case, and disconnected. !(%^@*#. I remembered Office Max's return poilcy, cuz i used to work there, so i brought it back, and was like "My computer didnt recognize it, can i swap it for another?" and I did...w00t

On the way home, stopped at the stupid radio shack and got some Soldering Flux, to make sure i didnt mess up this time. I got home, and placed green led in the mouse very well if i must say. I put it in the usb port and the led turned on. I jumped so high I almsot hit my head on the fan. But i wasnt happy for long, the light dimmed like usual when optical mouses are not in use. But it never turned back on. This hinted to me that the Camera did not have enough light to see the surface. #@)!(*&)@!. As i took the Green LED out, to put the blue one in, just to make up for having no mouse...I tore the same connector as last time. But I figured i must have gotten a little better at soldering and tryed to make a little line of solder blobs til it made a connection... HOLY . it worked! I was so happy i didnt have to trash another mouse. It works awesome again. So I guess now im givin my friend his blue led mouse, airbrushed black with his handle on it. Archaven. Meh, it should look good, I see him tomrrow. I should get pics then of it.

-Knux is glad its over