Athalon 64 Running Hot!

agentorange

I just got an Athalon 64 3200+ clawhammer in today from newegg. Put it in an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with a tt venus 12 and a "grain and a half of rice" worth of as5. Windows installed just fine but MSI's software (corecenter) read the cpu temp in the mid 50's and the nb temp in the low 30's (That's not what I should get with that hs right? I have heard that lapping helps tt's but they can't be this bad stock.). With in a few minutes the temps got to 60 (default shutdown temp for corecenter) and the computer shutdown. I am not going to turn it back on until I have an idea of what could be wrong with it and what to do about it. Any help would be great!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I followed the directions exactly. The first thing I tried was to re-seat the hs and when I took it off the as5 was smeared around the heatspreader evenly. I have built a couple machines now and not to be cocky but I think I have got the installation part down. I touched the hs and it really didn't feel particularily warm anywhere. Is it possible that the mobo sensors are wrong?

right now with my a64 3200+, 20% cpu usage im getting 40C, load i get around 45. Thats with a venus 12. Just wait a couple days for the as5 to spread out and kick in and it should drop. Also corecenter reports to high of temps. right now when mb5 shows 40C corecenter shows 46C. DL MB5 and see what u get

And see if there is a new mobo bios update. That was my problem.

took the words right out of my mouth. My 3400+ was reading like mid 40's before bios update. Then it was saying like 20's...dont know what it's at now cause i dont wanna download core center.