Question About Socket 7

are all of them the same? i mean, i've got an old p1 200mhz socket 7 that i want to upgrade the cpu (dedicated folder :-/ really slow) to the fastest socket 7 that i can get...and i see an k6 550mhz. will a socket 7 amd work in a system that had a socket 7 p1 200mhz?

Depends if the Socket 7 board is a "Super 7" motherboard. Super 7 motherboards consist of two or three chipsets. There was the ALi Aladdin V, then VIA's VP3 and MVP3. Super 7 motherboards were designed to operate K6-2's that came in both 66 and 100 MHz FSB. The 550 CXT is a 100 FSB model. If you have a P1-200-S and the chipset is an Intel 430VX/HX, count yourself out. The voltage regulators and lack of BIOS support won't run a K6-2. If the motherboard has an Intel 430TX chipset, you may be able to run a K6-2 up to 450 MHz, providing that your voltage regulators will give enough juice to the processor and if there is a modded BIOS out there that will recognize a K6-2 processor. If you research Google for "K6-2 430TX", you should come across some links for some UNSUPPORTED methods to get one working in such a board. My old Asus TXP4 had no problems doing so. I believe Taz had a Gigabyte 586TX2 that ran one just fine too.

On a final note this is what you are looking for:

430FX = Single voltage plane and 50-60MHz FSB = :(

430VX = Dual voltage plane and 50-66 MHz FSB but only supported up to 200 MHz CPU's.

430HX = Same but up to 233's.

430TX = Same, but can handle K6-2's depending on your board.

ALi Aladdin V = Ready to go

VIA VP3 = K6-2's on 66 MHz FSB only

VIA MVP3 = K6-2's up to 100 FSB :)