Help Design A Good Server Computer!

Capo

You can do this for under $2000 with no problem. Maybe even around $1500.

This is our normal server install for a small network.

Budget $1000 for mobo ( We use the supermicro dual zeon) of course you do not need this, but it will keep them happy for 3 to 5 years.

Grab the Adaptec 2400A raid 5 controller. Don't budge on this! they rock!

Purchase 4 drives ata, (any will do) all the same.

We install a removable hard drive and also use a USB 1.0 drive. These are used for backup. Windows 2003 has advanced the shadow copy to a point you can count on. We do alternating backups to both hard drives. Incase of fire or to move the backup off site the USB is used taken. We also sometimes install a dvd burner for quick backups.

You need NO monitor or keyboard, 100% of what you need to do can me done in remote desktop. I have 12 server, some up for 2 years now, never had a need to go to the console. map port 3389 from your router and you can rdp/termserve in from your home.

I like Syamntec 8.1 antivirus (least problems and over head) run it in server mode. Not to be confused with the symantec2004, totaly different.

If you go with Exchange make sure you get the symantec mail security 4.5, it will save alot of headaches ($400 for up to 10).

the server 2003 and exchange 2003 is rock solid. Do not go live for 1min without an antivirus!

Excellent info, thank you. However, as that he insists we go through a big named company as apposed to building it myself. WHERE is the best place to get something like this built?

I think all pre-builts use pretty much proprietary hardware. I think I would still say look at the Dells.

You can also just get a pretty standard machine and mod the crap out of it, installing a RAID card and more hard drives.

You do get manufacturer's warranty on all the hardware, and in-house support is you.

As much as I dislike Dells, I think they are pretty decent for the a premade server, plus then you can get the support if you need. A little more on the expensive side, but overall they seem to work ok.

Dell desktops and laptops can be a serious POS setup, but their server stuff is OK. Try looking at the Dell PowerEdge 1600SC model line. Yes, definately get their warranty!!!

You can also get them to get a switch at a decent price (part of the same PO, and their warranty).

Also, if you're going to be running Windows, and looking at Exchange, try to talk to boss into getting Small Business Server. The 2k version is good, and the 2k3 edition has a lot of great feature updates. Ya, it does cost a lot, but it saves a ton of money compared to buying them individually. ISA server is awesome too!

You can plan on spending a few grand on everything - all depends on how fancy you wanna get...

i have a friend whos dad almost bought a single xeon 3.2 ghz for like 4 grand or more. Plus i read an article about 6 months ago where dell servers would just catch on fire due to issues with the video card or something...dont remember what it was. He decided to cancel his order and i built him a dual opteron 244 for like half the price and it had much better stuff on it.

i have a friend whos dad almost bought a single xeon 3.2 ghz for like 4 grand or more. Plus i read an article about 6 months ago where dell servers would just catch on fire due to issues with the video card or something...dont remember what it was. He decided to cancel his order and i built him a dual opteron 244 for like half the price and it had much better stuff on it.

yea u forgot to call me that day :angry:

Well I am (was) a serious Compaq fan. Compaq server just could not be beat, say 7 years ago. Keep away from them now!

GateWay, yea... nuf said

HP, great highend systems, but the under $50 server have alot to be desired.

As much as I hate Dell they are your best bet. Just remember the expandability is not good after you purchase. For instance I took a newer server and installed 4 200gig drives in it, the darn thing has a serious heat problem! The system had the bays but evidently power was built for what it was shipped with.

The tech support for dell can be either real bad or real good. I think it is the luck of the draw.

DEll has a great automated OS install, you'll have your server up without neededing any knowledge.

10 years ago I would adimitly argue anyone into the ground as to why not to buy a "clone" and stay with a compaq. Today that has done a complete flip-flop.

The reason you would buy a prebuild case, #1 is uniformity, #2 is availablity of replacement parts #4 warrantee. #5 centralized design.

Almost all of these reasons have switched to the "clone". I can have a replacement mobo, my comapany has standardized on, in my hands in less than 4 hours. DEll can't do that. My company freely grants 5 year warrantees on all servers parts/labor (if warrantee stipulations are followed). And last but not least, the systems are well designed, alot of thought and research goes in to each item.