Sign in to follow this  
Flagg7771234

Well, I Gotta Ask, Sorry..

Been reading and posting, but I just can't figure out what is actualy ment by "folding"

Is "folding" the slang for OCing? or is "folding" the term used for a burn in test? Perhaps it's some anchient group bent on the domination of the the knowen univers.

that word has been used here in many different ways.

Moderator Note: Please do not post images that are vulgar. All site rules apply, even to images that are posted. Thanks!

Edited by LinuXProX

Folding is a way for some OCC members to give back to the research for cancer. Basically the program uses our system idle to crunch numbers, then sends it back to stanford. It uses 100% of our process, so it is a good way to burn in cpu's, test the limits of our cpus, and other various things. We encourage members to fold for our team, but its not a necessary thing. You do get a little dna strand though ;-)

Here is a link about folding.

Folding information

Folding is a distibuted computing project run by Stanford University. It uses the idle CPU cycles of participating volunteers' computers to process work units (WUs) to study how proteins form themselves or "fold". We here at OCC participate, on a voluntary basis. as a team. You download the clent software from Stanford and process work units and return them to Stanford. If you choose to join our team, make sure you use the same user name at Stanford as you do here on the forums. To give a little incentive to the users, Stanford awards points of differing values for each WU completed based on the complexity of the protein and how long it is estimated to take to complete. As users accumulate points, they can rise in the ranks of their team and teams do the same against other teams. You don't get anything for these points but it does become addictive!

And folding is a pretty good stress test for you machine!

Please visit the OCC Teams section to find out more and to download an installer program if you want to participate. Hope to see you on the team soon.

wow, I had no idea.

I;ll grab it. If this is a good burn in test maybe I can get our lab to use it, we always have 3 or 4 on the burn in table... heck we had a full blowen server on burning for 2 weeks sold

Thanks guys...

OK, Got it on 3 PCs now (at home)...

So the contests here are all about this Folding, not about best case mod or best Benchmarks?

I think that is admirable. Is this all nonprofit?

Edited by Flagg7771234