Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Ability To Ignore Certain Forum Topics

I would like to have the ability to selectively ignore individual forum threads that I find to be irrelevant to my interests so I do not see them every time I want to view new posts.

no one says you have to go into the threads....i don't see the big deal about seeing titles of threads. and honestly, you never really know when something may interest you in a forum you currently believe you have zero interest in.

Come on, who doesn't want to read about old flash games, suicide, and acne!?!?!?! Oh wait Im not a sarcastic bastard anymore. That feature would be usefull to me as well but its to much to ask of the site staff, pick your battles.

no one says you have to go into the threads....i don't see the big deal about seeing titles of threads. and honestly, you never really know when something may interest you in a forum you currently believe you have zero interest in.

I was expecting someone to point out that fact, and no, no one forces me to read a given post. But, as they asked for suggestions I posted mine. Most of the topics I personally would like not to see are the non-hardware related posts and I would find it easier to scroll through a list of posts that have been filtered to my interests.

Again, just a suggestion and probably worth everything they had to pay for it (nothing) :lol:

I was expecting someone to point out that fact, and no, no one forces me to read a given post. But, as they asked for suggestions I posted mine. Most of the topics I personally would like not to see are the non-hardware related posts and I would find it easier to scroll through a list of posts that have been filtered to my interests.

Again, just a suggestion and probably worth everything they had to pay for it (nothing) :lol:

alright, that's understandable. It would definitely be a cool feature if you could apply filters to the "view active threads" or "view new posts" options...filters being what sections are included in the searchs. but that's highly unlikely, as it would probably involve a substantial amount of work for something that's merely a convenience.

probably involve a substantial amount of work for something that's merely a convenience.

True, but it could always go on the "nice to have" list and not the "absolutely have to have" one.

while a valid point about threads I don't want to read, I don't see how a piece of software can choose for me. besides look at the number of threads that wander miles off topic and into a whole new time zone.

I think a more useful tool would be to merge the constant "what motherboad to buy for my athlon xp / 64 / p4" into one thread. or to merge the "how high will my **** overclock to" into a single thread (1 for athlon xp's 1 for athlon 64's 1 for p4's ect).

how it stands now though, the mods must do such things manually. I feel sorry for them and understand why some have slipped past them... they're only human and have lives outside of OCC.

I'd rather be a part of a whole community that comes with minor inconveniences and annoyances, not unlike a typical family, than one that is segregated.

My point was not to have the software choose for me, burden the mods with more work or create a segregated community. I was simply suggesting the ability to manually mark a topic to be ignored so it no longer appears when I view new posts. I have no idea how forum software works, but it seems to me that you could create a filter to ignore certain threads that might run for days in which you have absolutely no interest.

Again, it was simply a suggestion.

My point was not to have the software choose for me, burden the mods with more work or create a segregated community. I was simply suggesting the ability to manually mark a topic to be ignored so it no longer appears when I view new posts. I have no idea how forum software works, but it seems to me that you could create a filter to ignore certain threads that might run for days in which you have absolutely no interest.

A lot of things which may seem very simple, is somewhat harder than it seems. I like your idea so I'll try and work that in to the next major forum update. :)

Thank you all for the feedback.

okay, I see what you're getting at now. you just check it as "don't ever show me this again" type of thing.

that shouldn't be hard to implement.