Xp Pro Question

Duke Atreides

I am about to crack open a rig for one of my daughter's friend's parents.

They told me it is basically acting like its all virused up and crapped out yada yada.

The dad told me he has had the comp for a few months and his brother built it for him with Win XP PRO, but he is using the same copy of XP Pro on his own comp.

My question is doesn't that invalidate the cd key when you go online? I know it does with XP Home, as a guy at work suffered from that after his kid let someone borrow their cd. Or does XP Pro work different?

well in my experence, you only get 1or2 installations.. you will have to call microsoft after that to validate your cd-key and get another "right" to use that instalation.. in other words, microsoft has realy made life difficult..

They sure have made things awk-ward. I still like Windows 2000, no activation poo to mess around with and for me it does exactly the same things as XP only less faffing about :) Oh and 2000 seems to install alot quicker too!

Anywayyyyy why would invalidating CD keys or activation or whatever make it act all virusy?

Edited by markiemrboo

OK, maybe I wasn't clear.

I didnt men the cd key was making the comp act wierd, but they had it looked at by someone else that told him it had viruses. That is not a problem to fix.

The Windows copy thing is what concerns me, as the guy has never used the Update page before. This particular copy is running on at least 2 if not more machines. My question is does that not flag Microsoft and they invalidate the key due to piracy? A coworker experienced this with Home, but someone else told me it was different with Pro.

Edited by Duke Atreides

No I think as long as you have used it less then 5 times your fine. If you install it more then 5 times it will say you have 30days to call microsoft and if you don't it just locks you out. Its not like some cronies from Microsoft show up at your door or anything if that was a case a couple of friends would really be hurting.

I don't know, but I would hate to fix this comp only to have the guys operating system be pounced on by Microsoft for piracy. This couple is lower income and I'm not even charging them for fixing this comp.

But does anyone know if a multiple install of the same copy of XP Pro make the user at risk for any action? If so I will just format and install 98 or something.

/edit/ some posts while I was typing.

Thanks for the info, if there are any problems I'll just reformat and take it from there.

Edited by Duke Atreides

This is odd XP behavior-I had reached some sort of "limit" from reinstalling my XP Pro so many times, to the point where I had to activate over the phone, telling them it's only on one comp and all that jazz.

Well I waited about three months before the latest reformat and I was able to activate over the internet again, didn't have to call. I guess maybe they give you a certain amount of activations per year, or per six months.

I use XP Pro Corp edition, I have it on all of my own computers, I purchased it legally...not sure if there is a limit as to how many of your own computers you can install it on but I have never had a problem, I never lend my cd out and never give the key out...it cost me a bundle at the time but I don't like following the illegal route. I really do not think microsoft cares if the home user puts it on there own systems(more than one), they really hammer business's for doing that without paying for additional licence's.

I use XP Pro Corp edition, I have it on all of my own computers, I purchased it legally...not sure if there is a limit as to how many of your own computers you can install it on but I have never had a problem, I never lend my cd out and never give the key out...it cost me a bundle at the time but I don't like following the illegal route. I really do not think microsoft cares if the home user puts it on there own systems(more than one), they really hammer business's for doing that without paying for additional licence's.

wow, i feel lucky. i recently acquired a MS actionpack with looooooooads of ms software in it. my boss was chucking it out and i asked if i could have it. he was happy to let me have it...inside.....(amongst various other things) Windows 2000 Corp Edition and XP Pro Corp Edition...all legal, with keys....all free....luck is finally shining upon me!