Pre-built Systems

BiPolar

While, I myself would never do this. My buddy does, and while I could build one for hiim, he likes the idea of tech support, etc.

He doesn't really play games, mostly wants it for office apps and to convert his home movies to DVD. He's willing to upgrade his video card, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts for minimum requirements/cheap systems.

He lives in Texas, so Dell presents a small problem in that taxes come into play. So I was looking at the Gateway 510 series P2.8 or P3.0, as well as an emachines T3265.

Any thoughts, ideas? He wants it to be under $800.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would talk him into diy builds for 4 reasons

1.he will get twice the system for half the price

2pick his own parts/prices

3you still get tec support on the peices you buy,+ factory support is bad/expensive

4$800 on a factory will get abit less than nothing maybee less than half the rig you could knock up yourself's

I don't know enough to build my own comp, but I agree with Dean, the support sounds good, but when you go to use it, it's so hard to get help you usually have to do something different anyway. The tech support is often worse than useless because you end up just wasting your time.

the money saved on a custom built system could be put towards better video capture hardware... and an overall faster system for video editing...

don't buy a pre-built... tech support would consist of basic stuff like "oh, reboot" and "check this and this"

bollocks...

Tell him that he should consider an Apple. :ph34r:

If all he wants is office applications and Movie editiing that is the way to go. It will take a little getting used to but once you sit in front of it for a few hours its no problem.

Not to mention he will not have to put up with the increasingly ridiculous demands that Windows users have to set up and maintain to keep their computer safe from viruses and spyware.

I am a PC man myself but I use a Mac for FileMaker programming and you really have to respect the simplicity and stablility of the machine.

4 months going strong connected to Cable Modem without a reboot and NO viruses or ad-ware!!! :P

It's not that Dell has problems in TX, but that there is TaX in TX. So, that kinda stinks.

Mac's are definitely a little our of his range, although th emac is an interesting option, but to get one with a superdrive costs 900 for just the basic emac.

I'm going to start pricing out a system I can build for him. I saw a thread for systems under $500 on this board, so I'll peruse that and doing some searching on my own as well. Maybe I'll even give him a deal on my T-Bred 2700+ and get a Mobile 2500 for myself :).

Edited by BiPolar

STAY THE HE*L AWAY FROM DELL DESKTOPS!!!!! Their laptops ar good, but Gateway is better if you REALLY dont want to build your own system and they own Emachines(Bargain Gateways). If you get a DeLL you cant upgrade except through DeLL. At least Gateways you can pop any new hardware you want in.

I REALLY have to suggest building your own. Listen, I was so sure I was going to fry myself or worse MY NEW CHIP, but I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Nowadays mobo makers include a DETAILED set of instructions on how to install the components. And if you can put a CD in a drive you can install Windows XP.

When I built my current system about a year ago, all this would've cost $3000 from DELL....I got it all from newegg.com and built it myself for $800(minus some extra fans, watercooling & fan controller and the 256Mb GFX 5900 Ultra)But, I had a 128 Mb G4 ti 4600 That just came out of a fried system(No more volcanoes for me).

Point is, It's STUPID EASY AND CHEAP (relatively)to build a decent PC these days.

If he just HAS to have the tech support thing though, he's not a major gamer, and he's got that much money, tell him to get a killer laptop from Dell, Gateway, Alienware or Falcon

Why go mac? no point.. At this day and age PCs can do the same job as macs can if not better... You know why people say macs are good for video editing? and stuff... Because those professional video editors dont want to learn how to use a PC which is why they go to mac, learning mac its tons easyer then learning on a PC.

I'd build him a computer, and have him call Intel or AMD for tech support or his MB maker as they all should be willing to help.

Most problems that tech support gets is

"Ok i have my Drink in the drink holder..but where do i put my CD now?"

or

"When i click the "X" on this popup i just get more, why?"

He doesnt really need tech support.. you can be his tech support :) Ill build him a PC and send it there if he wants to avoid taxes

has any of you guys seen those new Emashines? they are all square and have a side window to them now, as if it was a custom built PC.

I can see why alienware has moved on to the smooth curved case, its because companys like Emashine is moving on to the custom square look. And no one wants a computer that looks like an Emashine....

Anyways... just go ahead and build him a computer OVERCLOCKERSCLUB FORUMS will be his tech surport.

But if theres a hardware problem.... its going to cost something... and if you can't find the problem, it could cost you a lot of somethings untill you find the problem.

The only thing i can see good about Pre-built PC's is that they will cover that if you buy the warrenty.