Moon Phases

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are amazing. Your next prject should be to point the camera slightly above the horizon and leave the shutter open for a few hours night and get one of those moving star shots.

What kind of camera are you using! Those pictures are awesome. Nice job. :)

its a 300d (digital rebel) with a sigma 70-300mm lens. theres a link to a pic of it in the first post.

the orginal file i'm working off is is 3200x2400 300dpi so it should size down nicely for a 1600x1200 wallpaper when i'm done. (planning for my 20" lcd)

and somone said it right...its currently waxing (getting fuller). i plan to add the waning phases to it...but probably won't happen the coming cycle.

about hold the shutter open and watching the stars turn...i hope to try something using that effect eventually. here's another effect...the pic was taken at probably 11pm. but the shutter was open for 376 seconds.

the moon is reflected sun light, only less intense...so if you expose the shot long enough you bascially have the same shot as if it was taken during the day time. with one difference because the shutter time is so long it gives the chance for the moon to rotate and elminiate or reduce the shadows. it can be sort of an errie effect. i had problems because there were a few street lights around, but it was a neat experiemnt.

a better example http://www.danheller.com/images/FAQ/Tech/Intro/img5.html

Edited by sykocus

I think my uncle has the same camera as you, his costed about 1k but he doesn't have that HUGE lens, his is about 5 inches I think. He photographs race cars and stuff. Wish I had a camera I could mess around with, I've got a nice big open back yard for takin pics of the sky with.