Bloody Hell Thls Computer Blows

lol personally I would check with another PSU, then I would most likely blame the motherboard.

Actually, thinking about it... do you have a floppy drive in this computer? Make sure that power connector is on alright. Mine does the exact same thing if I aint put that connector back on properly and I usually get it on wrong, they're so fiddly!

Scared the crap out of me when that first happened to me :)

*press power button, cathodes blink.... runs to the toilet* :)

EDIT: Sounds like that could possibly be the problem.

Edited by markiemrboo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried testing the psu by itself??? unplug it from everything, then stick a paperclip in the green and any black hole...

edit: well, you have to have it connected to the mains obviously, just disconnect it from the mobo etc

From an ATX Spec sheet found at http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/atx2_1.pdf

4.1.3 Power Signal Control Definitions

4.1.3.1 PS_ON#

PS_ON# is an active low signal that turns on all of the main power rails including 3.3VDC, 5VDC,

-5VDC, 12VDC, and -12VDC power rails. When this signal is held high by the PC board or left open

circuited, outputs of the power rails should not deliver current and should be held at a zero potential with

respect to ground. Power should be delivered to the rails only if the PS_ON# signal is held at ground

potential. This signal should be held at +5VDC by a pullup resistor internal to the power supply.

atx.bmp

I'm not an electrician or anything, but I would guess you would short pin 14 (or whatever one is a green wire, usually, apparently) with pin 15

Any ATX PSU that complies with the standard it will be pin 14 :). Some Dell's don't, they have a different connector which looks like a normal ATX one but actually isn't, the plug on the motherboard is different too... obviously :)

Any ATX PSU that complies with the standard it will be pin 14 :). Some Dell's don't, they have a different connector which looks like a normal ATX one but actually isn't, the plug on the motherboard is different too... obviously :)

yea and if u plug in a normal mobo to that dell psu IT FITS

but the motherboard gets fried! :angry:

other way around too :angry::angry: