Stupid Thing Won't Turn On!

:angry: I have an older HP Pavilion built in 2000 with 98SE I am trying to fix for the owner. From what he told me it would not boot up properly as he had deleted some stuff and screwed his OS, so no problem right?

I dropped in an ethernet card and blew out the dust grizzleys (bunnies does not do it justice) from the case and hooked it up and turned it on.

Windows booted up enough to ask for the CD to install drivers for my ethernet card then the comp shut off suddenly. Then it would not power on no matter what I have done, and I have tried many things. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Duke Atreides

Sorry, that would be more helpful.

OK, the comp does not have a power switch on the back, only a button on the front and no reset button either <_<

I have checked all connections, then disconnected the PSU and reconnected it, doule check all connections, switched power cords and where it is plugged in, manually removed any discs, yelled at the thing, removed the Ethernet card, retried it, threatened it, pushed the stupid button about 50 times.

The PSU on this is different from any others I have, so switching PSUs isnt an option, the thing will just not give power, no fan spins, nothing lights up.

And my comma button is on autofire today.

try taking the mobo out the case and assembling it all on a box or something... and just connect the basics like cpu, ram, monitor, k/b, mouse, psu... and then turn it on by shorting the power_on jumper with a screwdriver... might be some crap in the case or something...

Jimmy rigged another PSU...

That was the problem.

I would curse HP, but this comp is 5 years old and PSUs fry when you don't have adequate protection on them. I called the owoner and he told me he had the comp plugged into a normal extension cord. :lol:

I live in OKC, where lightning strikes are VERY common and a surge protector is a must.