Sign in to follow this  
RaTeD-R

Cutting in a fan(s)

Ok, the side of my computer case still is solid and boring.  Im not going to add a window for this comp, its too old, and really not worth pimping :).  I do however, want to cool it down so it lasts alittle longer.  I definatly want to cut a 120mm fan into the side to blow around the CPU area.  I currently have 2 80mm's....one in back, one in front.  Both blowing air OUT of the case.  I have a GeForce3 in there FYI, its got a heatsink & fan going thats why I mentioned it.

My main question is, where do you recommend I place the 120mm, and how do you recommend I cut it in?  My uncle is a maintenance man so I have easy access to tool.  Also keep in mind that I plan on putting a 80mm fan on the TOP of the case also blowing around OUT.  Just looking for some tips so I don't create a hot-pocket.  mmmmm, hot-pockets.....you GOTTA try the philly steak&cheese!

hrmm.. on the back side of the case?

were the motherboard tray is?

What I guess I would do if I was tempted to do that..

get a dremel.. cut a big square in the motherboard tray around the general area of were the back of the processer socket is on the back of the motherboard, then take a 120mm hole saw and drill a hole on the door of the case, around the area of the square u just cut out.. then air would blow on the back of the mobo around the cpu socket area..

Im not really sure what u were asking.. but If u want to do that Im more then positive it will work.. lol

I would use an alum. mesh filter, so dust doesnt get in to the back of the board n crap..

but that would keep the board a bit cooler..actually..

if I was u

I would make the 120 MM fan the top blowhole.. and the 80mm for the board cooling..

but its your case, and just have fun with it..

lhope u like the idea.. and hope thats what u were asking lol..

l8rz

I am planning on adding a fan to the side of my case, not the back.  I want to modify the left side (if your looking @ it from the front), its the side that slides off.

I guess I coul dput the 80mm on the side, and the 120mm up top.  That probably would be better, I dunno  ;) .  Im gonna try and find an elecrtrostatic filter, once again, I hope radio shack comes through.  Theres not a whole lot of stores in Westminster.

Lakers(Shaq) are making the Nets look BAD!

well what u could do, is take a plastic sturdy cup.. and fit it around the processer and heatsink.. and make it come out to the front left side of the case.. and put an 80mmfan there for an exaust..

It should cool the processer quite well.. actually..

I will look.. I have seen this done...

hrmm.. brb...

:P

w00t! found it!

its here at Pimp Rig

one thing I have learned with mine..

On the front of my case I have a 120mmfan intake.. and at first I had 2 80mm fans blowing air in on the PCI cards and the processer.. It actually made the case warmer..

So i reversed the 2 80mm fans.. and it droped it like 6 degrees.. and 3 degrees from what it was running at with out the fans..

So I would make the fans on the side exausts lol..

hope that works for ya..

l8rz

yeah, if you dont do the plastic glass trick (nice idea) place the fan about 1/4 of an inch above your cpu, cold moving air slightly falls and it will hit your cpu right on target! [email protected]