Drastic Change In Pc Perfomance, Weird Probs

qwprince

i have a p4 2.4B 533Mhz .. have been running fine for so long ... until my fan failed (glacialtech igloo pro).

i got a new cooler master aero jet cpu cooler+heatsink & a chasis fan, and my temp. levels have been under 40deg C for normal usage and under 55deg C while video encoding and gaming.i also bought a new sony dru540A dvd-writer along with this.

now the problem started. my hdd(120GB Maxtor,80GB WD) started making noises, kind of like when hd's switch on/off. so i unplugged my dvd writer, chasis fan and the freq. of the sound reduced to a very high extend. but it is then that i noticed another thing. my pc starting time increased, loading norton takes a long time, dreamweaver takes a looong time to start etc, the same for everything else. (nav live update got disabled at abt the same time)

i'll give u configs of my pc when it wuz workin fine & when it started being weird

When it wuz normal

-----------------------

Glacialtech Igloo Pro CPU Cooler (4000rpm)

2 x Normal Chasis Fan

Temp - Avg: 42deg C Load: 53degC

when it became weird

-------------------------

Cooler Master Aero Jet w/Fan Control (3600rpm)

1 x Normal 80mm Fan

1 x Cooler Master 80mm Fan (2500rpm)

SONY DRU-540A DVDWRITER

Temp - Avg: 40deg C Load: 54degC

Other Unchanged Configs

-----------------------------

P4 2.4B 533Mhz (No o/c)

Gigabyte GA-8PE6672 Ultra2 Rev1.2 Mobo

512MB 333Mhz TwinMos DDR

80GB WesternDigital 8MB Cache

120GB Maxtor

Samsung DVD-COMBO

400WATT Rhycom PSU

MSI GeForce FX5600

17" LG Flatron eZ T710BH

Creative SoundBlaster Live

Intex Firewire PCI

Conexant Modem PCI

WinXP Prof SP1

NAV 2004

NPF 2003

MSN v6.2

what could be the possible problem ?

- psu overload

- hdd trouble overheating

- dvd-writer error

- coolermaster cpu fan problem ?

- temp reported being wrong and hence/overheating?

now i cant go to my vendor for replacement of anything, unless im sure what the problem is...

do help

Edited by qwprince

all that nice stuff and you're powering it with some no name pos psu...

"400WATT Rhycom PSU"

that would be my guess going on the cpu fan dying, the harddrive spin up/down noises, adding a dvd writer...

choices: pc power & cooling, antec, enermax, fortron

I am gonna have to agree that a reformat will help. But if your hard drive is making weird noises, it could mean that it is about to fail. Get a good brand power supply and if that does not work, you might have a bad hard drive.

no problems with the hadd .. 120gb is not even a month old .. the other 80gb is like 4 months ..

the cpu fan dint exactly die .. it started to make a whining noise b'coz of acumulated dust .. so i changed it b'for it died..

will the psu make such a diff.? i mean i have another 350W psu which is running a p4 2.4 .. i use it only for video encoding & has no vga and dvddrive & it kind'f exhausts fire red hot air most of the time .. but my psu has never over heated even aftr connecting all these things .. so thats why i dint bother changin it + branded psu is a very difficult thing & very expensive to find in this part of the world

and yeah what range of power shud i look for 450W or 500W .. i dont want to shell out a lot for psu .. + is aopen psu a good choice(i cud find only this so far)

anyway i'll reformat and see ..

is the 40mm fan on the northbridge of my 845mobo chipset that important? coz that is also whining these days and i cant find a replacement with the proper pin & other stats.

Edited by qwprince

Which HD is making the noise? I've had 2 of those WD's go out on me. Same problem both times with the read heads. Started sounding clunky, making whining noises and taking forever to load. Sound familiar? I'd be willing to bet that the WD is about to go and formatting will only make it worse(trust me). Backup everything on the drive and either just wait for it to go and RMA it or go buy another Maxtor(anything but a WD)

Isolate which drive is making the noise though.

yea i reformatted and pc started workin fine .... but after sum time it got stuck and restatarted .. once .. hd switchin on/off .. i know the difference when the head is bad .. no this is the hd switchin on/off ... is it possible the hdds are overheating and shutting down ?

btw my psu was 450WATT switchin power and had no problems so far even when i connected 3 hdds + 1DVDCOMBO earlier ...

im not sure which hd is giving the noise .. i tried switching on the system to check the noise with one hd unplugged but in either case the pc doesnt boot or do POST ..sumthin with my bios config of master/slave .. i had trouble installing the drives before ...

two more qs this time:

- is it possible to check whether the power required is sufficient for the parts in my pc using some software prog? (just wanted to be sure bfore i go out & get more stuff)

- how can i check whether my hd is havin trouble ?

thanx agallion,vampire & newport for the reformat .. it did remove most of my problems ... and Pent uP Rage .. so far my wd gave excellent performance in terms of data transfer speed + low or no noise .. whereas my new maxtor 120gb makes a horrible scratichin noise & is slow with data transfer ...

Edited by qwprince

hmmm. Only way I would know how to check voltages on an individual power leg is to get out the multimeter.

Which HDs are on serial and which on parallel? and which channels?

SATA1&2 won't work while IDE1 is active on my IC7G. It's one or the other. I was gonna have to run my serial HD on SATA 1 and my other HD on IDE 2, but that took all my room on the cables for CD drives so I had to take it out.

Edited by Pent uP Rage