Overclocking Toshiba Satellite [email protected] Safe?

Neroulis

Hi all. I have a toshiba satellite 5200-902 witha 2.4ghz pentium 4-m processor. I found on the net a nice free utility that allows all the Satellite 5200 models to overclock withing windows without any increases in voltage of course. So i did.

The CPU obviously has a lot of headroom but i do not want to push it too far due to heat concerns and also because the intergated peripherals cannot cope with much increased FSB. The highest stable overclock setting is 2663 mhz but for safetly reasons i went to 2641. The computer is completely stable at that speed and the fan is not continuously running (i.e. no major temp increase).

However when i installed Motherboard Monitor i saw that my idle temp is around 54-55 celcious but the load temp can go up to 79 celcious when overclocked (without any stability probs however). The laptop has a cpu protection scheme that will shut the system off completely if the cpu temp reaches a critical temp. ( this has never happened to me).

With the normal 2400 speed the idle temp is around 53 celcious and the load temp around 76 celcious. speedstep is also running just fine however with increased multiplier (i.e. 110FSB). With the speedstep setting the temp is around 48 celcious idle (46 celcious whilst the fan is running).

I downloaded the Intel spec pdf for pentium 4-m which states maximum temp is 100 celcious! It also states that the 2.4 and the 2.6ghz model both have a vCore of 1.3V and both dissipate 35W. So, 2641 or 2400? Would you reckon it is safe? Thank you very much!

Edited by Neroulis

yeah.. if it runs that hot at stock speeds, I can't see what a few degrees more would do to it. As long as it runs alright and you're sure it 100% stable (prime 95) then it should be fine.

i'm borrowing a P4 laptop for a week for folding... when it's at 100% load it gets really hot and the processing power starts to suck... like it almost halves... i've got the laptop sitting onto of my main rig over the blowhole and have a spare fan hooked up ontop and it's back up to full speed...

so... it doesn't really seem to matter what the clock speed is... if it gets hot then it just sucks... maybe try and mod some cooling onto it... i would if this P4 was mine... i'd mod a great big heatsink onto it that stuck out the case...

I fold on my laptop and as hardnrg says, it get's HOT. I don't know what kind of case vents the Toshiba has, but I'd look into something like an Antec Noetbook Cooler. It won't give you impressive temp drops, but better than nothing.

So considering that this laptop is used as a desktop replacement you reckon it is ok to sometimes get the extra speed? To be frankle even when working @ 2641 @ full speed the laptop does get hot but not as hot as to burn anything - i can leave my hand there if you know what i mean. I was wondering however whether Toshiba or any other vendor uses different cooling mechanism for the speedier 2.6ghz which is supposed to dissipate the same 35W under load with the same 1.3V. All p4-m have maximum temp of 100 celcious. What do you think?

Update the BIOS from the Toshiba website, It controls what temperature the fan's come on, and may have made some adjustments...

My Dell Inspiron 2650, 1.6ghz Mobile Pentium 4-M will Idle at 26*C when I turn on Speedstep, and still at only 35*C when at full speed. I also used SoftFSB to OC this thing to 1.9Ghz. It's not exactly stable...but if I run the Prime95 Torture test it's load temps are the same as your Idle.......Soooo, I'd say, if you have another year of warranty, crank it. If your warranty is over, I wouldn't touch overclocking with a 10foot pole.