Setting Up A Hardware Site

shervin2

Hey guys, Since ive started building computers i always dreamed of having and runnig my own hardware review site like OCC and Nuclear's Virtual-Octane (CAnt get enuf of it!) so ive made some plans and im going to buy space on a server tommarow and buy a domain, only problem is i dont know what a good name is for the site, anyone have ideas? And feel free to post your comments on how i should make the site.

uberclocker is a good name, good idea. But since me and WebX (Yes hes the co-owner) are teens i was gonna make it like hardwarekid.com and make it hardware from a different perspective, help me out guys!

I really don't think you know what you are getting into... maybe you do, but here are some thing to think about.... It's one thing to go out and get a name, and a server to host the site....

But running (or even helping with) a site such as this is an extremely difficult, and time consuming take if you want to be successful. It takes a lot of time and money for a site to be successful, and since time = money... well, you get the point.

If you have the time and money, another thing that you have to deal with is the fact that this is an extremely saturated area. I've probably got 200 similar sites bookmarked, and that doesn't even scratch the tip.

The next thing, this is a business. It cost money and makes money. How much or how little depend on a wide variety of things.... Don't think just because you start up a site people are just going to start sending you hardware. Most people have this assumption.

That's just a few things to think about... I'll let you discover the rest. ;) But, best of luck on your endeavor.

It's harder then extremely difficult lol.

You may find everything you need, but finding members...or even companies to let you review stuff is tough. Though you can find them, it'd tough to just "Oh I am going to start a website."

Trust me, I tried it. Didn't work to well...

I'll agree with D3 and Overclocker on this one.

I think alot of people think that I started my site over night, and that its only been running a few weeks. The truth is, I spent almost a year planning and organzing the site. I spent many months calling in favors to my contacts, insiders, or anyone I knew that could help. I'm still fighting to get some sponsorship finalized. Now, I am in the process of switching all of my hosting to severs at my house, which comes with an increased bill. Running my website has turned into a regular 12HR a day job.

I'm not trying to discourage you, as anyone can do anything. Just be prepared to put alot of time, money, and effort into it.

Well ive done a couple of reveiews in the past for 2 sites as a freelance, but everyone knows freeelances suck. I do have the time as its summer for me and I do not have a job and i will start off small and for tiem to come grow bigger and bigger. I have a friend who owns one of the hardware sites ni canaada so he can help me out graciously, as for the money, if this goes out well (I am getting cheap hosting ATM) I may or may not be able to keep this running through the coarse of my school year. but I do have people who are willing to do soem reveiws and give me a big help.

Thanks for your input guys, but i still need a name...