Ethical Issue

OK, I started a business on the side fixing, upgrading and building comps. I have almost all of the parts to build a rig that someone wants. The specs for the rig are as follows:

2500+ Barton core

MSI K7N2Delta MOBO

1 gig pc2700 ram

80 gig 7200 8 meg cache HDD

9600 Pro vid card

various other "gubbins"

The problem is the guy wants the comp to host a website, I don't think I need to say what KIND of website. For spiritual and moral reasons I do not want to contibute to this form of "entertainment" in any way. This website would have massive uploads of streaming video and the like.

My question is, with the given specs of this comp, would it be capable of hosting or running a website alone?

Thanks for your replies.

I'll check back in a bit, I have to fix yet another Dell POS for another customer (AOL too, jeez!)

Edited by Duke Atreides

If you say that you don't want to contribute to "that type of entertainment" you might wanna consider a little white lie to him (I'm assuming its a him)...

With the specs listed, yes, it can "run a website" as mentioned by some_guy_ but if your friend wants to do streaming media as well as hosting mostly static data, you can tell him that he's going to need more hardware.

The proc is technincally OK, but for all that work, you can tell him that a dual Xeon would be a better fit, as well as registered ECC ram, a SCSI RAID disk setup from an Adaptec controller (hardware raid, not run by Windows or off the mobo). Also, he'll probably want a significant internet connection upgrade. This would involve either a colocation facility or a T1 to the house - a fat upstream feed is almost required.

With that said, good luck with the colo - most don't want any questionable traffic in their network so they can avoid any legal issues. Also, the cost of the hardware and internet connection will be a bigger bite than he is willing to take. If he's in it to make money off subscription fees, does he have a https certificate? How about an account with Verisign for certs or credit card orders?

I'm assuming that he has some "friends"(people, llamas, penguins, etc) that are going to be providing the content right? If not, then he could be in serious legal trouble for using copyrighted material... An explicit registered copyright isn't always needed - there is an implied copyright just by making it - see here.

OK, I think I'm done rambling... Good luck either way you go on this. Please put an update back into this thread with what happens.

Edited by cybergrunt69

:withstupid: Should easily host a website with that. Maybe a bit more storage if going for lots of media.

And yeah, if you don't want to be invovled in the type of things he is providing then just tell him about it. Bear in mind he will probably just go somewhere else if you don't build it though.

Yeah, at least a 120GB hard drive. And, is he going to strictly host with that, or will he be editing any of his "entertainment" with it. If yes, you may want to use an All In Wonder card instead (perhaps a 9600 np AIW to cut back on cost). Anyway, that could host a website, but, like cybergrunt said, a dual Xeon would be better (if the website gets a lot of traffic, he should consider upgrading along the way)

I'm sorry to sayti but IMO it's not your buisness what he does with it after he buys it... I take it that you are a actuial computer buisness or aspireing buisness, it's not up to you... Think of it as if he came up to you and asked you for a computer that could stream video... thats all ALWAYS stay impartial.. I'm not saying be heartless but at least when you start up you re goeing to want to be the guy that sells computers... hell for all you know his buisness wont even take off or he wont need it and give it to his teenage kid... you dont know... My apoligies for being so blunt about it but hey just my opinion...

Edited by Duff Man

Im sure like most people have said the comp will run it fine but make sure the guy understands what it takes to run a website like a T1 or another type of internet connection that supports above average upload speeds and the how to setup a webserver and such. And if I were you I wouldn't feel gultiy because your not like making the website for him or anything your building him a computer and what ever he does with that computer is his buisness.

bandwidth for multiple video streams running simultaneously on the same connection will make bandwidth more of a concern than the suitability of that computer (which should be ok with a fast enough hard drive - raid, ideally scsi is better for "simultaneous" file-serving)

also, he could have not told you what the computer was for, and you woulda made it... so no difference...

Well, if you really don't want to contribute to what the computer is being used for, tell him that he'll need a dual Intel Xeon server, 1 tb RAID 10(I really don't know what that is... RAID 10...), T1 down, and then fill the computer up with spyware. That way, he won't be able to contribute to it, and you didn't either.

Or, just explain to him that because of your spiritual and ethical beliefs, you don't feel comfortable contributing to what the computer will be used for. Give him the parts then and tell him to find someone else to build it.

:withstupid:

NRG, you're exactly right. And make sure you don't use abbreviations. Say it all... "You see, the dual xeon processing units allow for better performance and speed, if they both have a high front side bus megahertz speed."

That stuff in quotes is probably bull, but hey, if the guy's computer tarded... :foldon: