Sign in to follow this  
CS-sniper

Double Layer Dvd's?

Hey board, im thinking about buying a dvd burner. But i heard there comming out with double layer burner that have like 9gb of data storage. So i have some options.

I want to be able to copy dvd movies, but i was wondering are some of the movies on double layer disks? so i should buy a double layer burner? (to burn them)

If i buy a cheaper single layer burner (which i want to, to save $$)will i still be able to ;) backup ;) my movies?

thanks in advance!!

there are many many programs and methods already widely in use to convert dual layer dvd's to fit onto single layer dvdr's...

single layer dvd's have around 4.4GB of space and most movies are around 6GB just for the movie...

if you want to make a 1:1 copy of your own collection in case they get damaged/stolen then a dual layer writer is a good idea... if you don't mind a tiny bit of compression (not noticeable if you use the right techniques) then save some money and get the single layer one...

imo, dual layer is expensive and not mature just yet (only +R(DL) as far as i can see, and slow +R(DL) at that)

Newegg.com has a couple of dual layer DVD burners on sale for 80 bucks or so, you may want to check those out. I've been monitoring them lately but it seems dual layer discs are next to impossible to find. Got any links for any? :)

i use a single layer burner and just "shrink" the dvd down. haven't noticed a loss in quality yet. i usually just burn the main movie unless there are good extras on the dvd.

Those aren't even coming out until July 30th... guess the burners are just out before the discs. Thanks for the link spectra, its like lookin for the needle in the hay stack when it comes to dual layer discs. I'm sure by September or so when I've got the money to buy them more stores will carry them. They are a bit on the pricy side. :(

There are plenty of dual layer burners out now! Just stop by your local Best buy ,Circuit City or Comp USA! :foldon::foldon:

even with the duel layered disks, no one is sure they can make a 1:1 copy yet. Atleast thats what the idiots at digital digest beleive. They say there will be a problem with the DVD-Players switching from layer to layer during a smooth stream play.

(But then again last year, these are the same guys that beleived Duel layered DVDrs will never come out EVER)

And for some of us that has already bought the single layered burners. Their maybe firmware upgrades for us to burn Duel layered as well. I know that plextor has old DVD burners that will be able to do so.

But i have a lite-on.... i hope lite on releases a duel layered firm upgrade.

You can still create no loss movies using single layer DVDs, from dual layer DVDs, you just have to spread them across two or more DVDs. Not too much of a hassle, you preserve Dolby 5.1, special features, etc., and DVD+/-R's are cheap enough that two disks for one movie isn't a total waste.

just take out all the 'special features', and the alternate language tracks i.e. french and stuff. you'll never need them.