Ati Overclocking

I've just orderd a Asus Radion X800 XT. This is my first ATI card as i've always used Nvidia could someone tell me how to overclock it when it arives. Also how do you know how far to clock it before damage occours. (I am a novice at overclocking)

Ben Jamin

Heres the official site for ATI tool, its great, it does the overclocking for you and wont damage your card, it works by increasing the core/memory clock speeds up, then thoroughly testing the card for a change in or "delta" of any pixels (ie, artifacts), if it shows the slightest artifact, it lowers the clock speed and continues till it will reach the limit of the card :)

Be careful using ATiTool on that new X800 series card. It finds your clock rates due to artifacting and distortion, but the X800 series cards don't artifact...or show signs of going to high, they just lock up or quit. ATiTool has been known to keep "pushing" the cards well beyond there limit, and thus causing GPU failure.

I have never seen a card do this. My X800XT-PE will go to 595/605 with no artifacts or problems, but anymore on the core or mem...and it instantly locks up and goes hay-wire. I tried AtiTool on my X800Pro, and totally screwed up my clocks.

AtiTool is great for OC'ing the X800 series, but I wouldn't use it to find your max clocks. I would do it the old fashioned way, which is just to up it slowly until it locks up. Don't push it any further from there.

Hey Nuclear, have you got that FX-53 yet? I'm very interested in what you have to say about it.

I have the chip, but no motherboard or H20 block :(

I ordered an Abit Av8, and Gigabyte K8NSNXP. The Giga-Byte arrived with the chip, but was DOA....I had to send it back to NewEgg. The Abit came from a different place, and should be here by tomorrow. I ordered a DTEK WW to go on the 53, but it has yet to arrive also, hopefully tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted.

i find Ati Tool sets the oc at a point where it THINKS there aren't any artifacts, but if i try running RTHDRIBL or look at the Nature test in 3DMark, there'll be serious artifacting...

so i use Radclocker to oc and simultaneously test for artifacting with RTHDRIBL...

it was nice to fire it up on like the 2nd day of having my 9800pro to see what all the DX9 fuss was about... :)

GeForce2 GTS ......... 9800pro....... just a bit of a difference!!!!