Roadkill's Switching To Darker Side

anthony

Considering you can get a 1MB cache for less then a half meg. (s745 vs s939) I'd go for teh 745 1MB cache, tight timing ram and 3000+ or 3200+ chip...

939's ar jsut too expensive right now

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go NVidia! Actually the choice is up to you... I would rather go with NVidia cause that is whats going to perform better once 3DMark05 comes out.

LOL, 3dmark isn't a game. It doesn't matter how it perfroms. And by the time they get that out both NVIDIA and ATI will have a new genereation of chips most likely.

As for the extra cache being uncecissary, thats not really true. In this case AMDs PR rattings are accurate the 2.2GHz 512k cache is about as fast overall as the 2.0Ghz 1meg L2. I've used both and clock for clock the 1 meg L2 is defiantly faster, but it is not a huge difference.

Edited by oralpain

okay, I think I know what is gonna work well (I've set up WAY more athlon 64 sytems than I even want to think about now, and own 9 of them right now).

socket 939 is out... doesn't mean socket 754 is dead yet. semptron WILL be the new name for the socket 462 and 754 chips (you will be able to upgrade). the 1mb cache of 3200+ clawhammer vs the 512k cache of the newcastle 3000+ doesn't mean anything unless you're gonna be doing cad or maya work. DFI's socket 754 board was not exactly crap, but it wasn't geared towards the market most of us are in. MSI's 754 boards have been very good to me... I just got the chance to setup the K8N neo platinum 2 days ago (it's for a 4 yr old). it's very much like it's big brother the K8N neo2 platinium (939 version). it's solid, it's fast, it has all kinds of goodies, well worth it. the gigabyte 940 / 754 boards I've dealt with have been good thus far, but I've only messed with the nf3 150/150 pro ones, no via. the asus boards outside the SK8N have just been total trash... don't waste the time. both Abit ones I've dealt with had a total uptime of 30 min or less combined. FIC... just don't. the DFI 939 lanparty has been AWSOME for one of my rigs. it oc's well but I still can't get to the level I have on my 940 boards from gigabyte. albatron is sending me a pair of boards so I can decide if I want to carry thier product (probably will)... so I can't say for sure how they are. Epox's board was a little unstable, but it was a ram issue... not really thier fault.

ww thanks alot for the very very very good brieving bigred!

I plan on going socket 754 woth the MSI K8N Neo Platinum and thanks for reinforcing my view on it

and for the other page>

My dad isnt going to game on this.. i might once and a while... but i got my rig :P i might get the x800 for me though :D But if my dad isnt going to game, whats the point of an ax800? il just put in a 9800 pro.. that should be sufficient for him and me =)

Guest Arauthator

Ok....I got it.....this website tells you all about AMD and the best way to go.

http://www.macular.org/junkfood.html

But I stiil think you should stick to Intel

LOL......AMD = Age-related Macular Degeneration.....LMFAO

Also....the guy in this pick.....he was an AMD user but the Intel guys owened him.

WHAT A NOOB

Edited by Arauthator

Guest Arauthator

It's cool.....I just had to give you a hard way to go about it.....

I was referring to AMD and the AMDf........2 abbreviations....2 meanings that differ.

besides....somebody has to give you a hard time....might as well be me.