Photoshop Vs Fireworks

jammin

oh, right, like web-design, sure fireworks is easier... i thought you were talking about sig pics!!!! :lol:

mx owns too...

but PS owns for straight graphics (sig pics are straight graphics)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't define sig pics as straight graphics exactly.. I think that's what the confusion is about. To me straight graphics is anything where you are not restricted by size of the Image (in both ways).

a 24kb image is web graphics to me....

I don't think I should have put a Vs in the post title should I, as this wasn't really the route I wanted the discussion to take.. do'h!

if you want to do PRINT work........use photoshop....if you want to do anything on the web.........keep you a$$ planted in the macromedia department and don't ask question......just READ! Go to half.com and pick up some material on Fireworks and Flash......and honestly...I can create some things in Flash that Photoshop could only dream of....vector is it's cup-o-tea.......oh man...pick up a copy of Flash...if you don't have it.......maaaaaaaaaaaaybe I could show you where to get it ;)

24KB is sooo easy to do in PS tho... just select Save for Web, Jpeg high, and slide the slider as needed... how hard is that?

i meant straight graphics as flat, one-layered, none-transparent graphics that aren't involved in say, a flash animation, or an image map, or a spliced image...

so, just an image...

i have both.. but fireworks is good for web graphics, like ataching text to a path or somthin.. were photoshop is more for digital art, photo tuchups.. other things..

you do NOT use jpeg images for print work....TIFF files.....and native file formats are the only extensions use for print work. Photoshop is fine.....heh........go ahead and start a new project.....set the resolution to 640 which is BASE standard for anything professional.....print it up from photoshop...and get back to me ;) A bit small? Now do the same thing in fireworks. (which wasn't even designed for printwork) lol

you do NOT use jpeg images for print work....TIFF files.....and native file formats are the only extensions use for print work. Photoshop is fine.....heh........go ahead and start a new project.....set the resolution to 640 which is BASE standard for anything professional.....print it up from photoshop...and get back to me ;) A bit small? Now do the same thing in fireworks. (which wasn't even designed for printwork) lol

a 100% quality jpeg is fine to print out...

what the hell are you talking about resolution of 640? not pixels i hope? 600dpi on a quality printer is what is used in books for colour photographs so i don't really see what you're saying...

you say it prints out small? so you mean 640 pixels???? man, i use 600 pixels per inch... so that usually means a resolution of 7015 x 4960 for a sheet of A4 paper...

haha, 640 pixels... :lol:

i couldn't fit a single image TIFF file on a 700MB cd and that's the biggest thing they accepted back at my university printing shop... so i HAD to do it in jpeg... there was no option, but at 100% (ie, next to no compression) it wasn't a problem because the resolution was so high...

basically, once i'd flattened the image, it was gonna be bigger than 700MB in TIFF format, even if i zipped it...

no-one at the printing shop laughed, they were more pissed off at how slow i was making the whole shop run from printing out an image that big (uncompressing to a few GBs for the printer)

photoshop and fireworks are two very different programs, while they both can accomplish the same end result, photoshp is built around photo editing. last i checked had fireworks was no where near the horse power for color correction. i'm talking more then birghtness contrast...cuves, channel mixer, etc...does fireworks even have a histogram?

fireworks is closer to an illistrator type program and vector graphics. its integration with the rest of the macromedia suite has already been listed as a strong point.

photoshop's native format is psd based on the Adobe PS (post scrip) system...one of the standards for professional publishing.

file format is irrealivant to which program is better as each program allows you to save to many different format.

the end medium will dertermine what format you save to...if its web publishing you will use some form of lossy (compressed) format such as jpeg, gif, etc. because they save space. if you are going to print then you will use some lossless format.

university/college is not professional.........it is a learning experience.....I'm speaking in relation to a working environment where you are getting paid to do the work......not paying to do the work. For school......If you want to do an image WITH text.....you MUST use 640dpi.......but not in photoshop.........use NO less than 340 for the image......and then import the image into publisher...which by default is 640 for text........add your text in publisher.......and you are golden.....file size will drop down to roughly 200-400mb range...depending on your shadows..and whether you are using RGB or CMYK. Happy imaging.