Choosing A New Psu

How much difference is there with PSU's (generic vrs name brand)? I'm rebuilding a system and will be installing a xp3200+ cpu with a 9800pro video card. Will also be running dual channel pc3200 2(512). Looking at the 450w-500w range. Any advice at all?

generic sucks and could result in anything from failing to power your computer, to damaging the rest of your computer, or literally exploding... i had a generic psu and it exploded under the strain...

even named psu's can suck... i'd stick to the main players, ie

pc power and cooling

enermax

antec

fortron

there are a bunch of other's but those four seem to be the best, i gotta Tt psu cos it was cheaper and still decent... some people say their Allied psu's are decent...

just don't buy some random psu and you should be alright...

Power supply wattage calculator

btw, welcome to OCC! :D check out the 1GB of Ram contest that's going on at the moment... free ram, bonus...

well most generic power supplys are name brand power supplys rebranded , i have tons of power supplys , i never had problems with any of them, most people tend to over due it when buying power supplys going all out with 500+watt psu's, my wifes computer is using a antec 350 watt psu she has a ati 9700 pro, 3.0p4, chaintech 9cjs motherboard 1 40gig hd and and 2 200 gig hard drives ,sb audigy, and her computer runs fine,most people think they need huge psu's to run heavy machines, most people dont uder stand that a 500+watt psu can run about 12 hard drives + a full load of other crap , just somthing to think about when buying, i hop i helped out in my rant

Pretty much I would stick with a Antec/Enermax/Fortron PSU. My personal favorite is this Fortron. It is probably the best bang for the buck at its price range. It has some pretty beefy heatsinks, adjustable POTS(fine-tuning individual voltage rails), and super stable voltage rails.

Guest Faux_Carnival
How much difference is there with PSU's (generic vrs name brand)? I'm rebuilding a system and will be installing a xp3200+ cpu with a 9800pro video card. Will also be running dual channel pc3200 2(512). Looking at the 450w-500w range. Any advice at all?

Any advice?

2 important advices that's all:

1) more than 450w

2) enermax or Tt

I can suggest Enermax Coolergiant P Series...

When you turn off your PC, PSU's fans keep running to make the power supply live more... Nice detail.