Yet Another Photoshop Effect

I'm back. This time I kinda know what I'm doing, just looking for suggestions on how to create nice rounded, 3D looking, glossy appearing buttons that will be used as tabs on a web site. I'm looking to produce the effect similar to the tabs on apple.com or common buttons in OS X. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

If you want circles, then the best way to do it is to use the "circle selection" tool and select a large section. Then fill it with whatever you want...whether it be a solid color, a gradient, or what-have-you. Then go to layer effects and you can try the bevel and emboss, but i actually prefer to use the other options of inner and outer shadows and highlights, until i get the effect i want. Then you can just shrink it to the size you want.

DISCLAIMER: I use photoshop 5.5, so there may be an easier way to do it in CS. shrug.

EDIT: here's a circle i did...unfortunately it's really a ring, not a button, but it gives you an idea of what effects you can do. I utilized drop shadow, innershadow, outer glow, inner glow, and then i did a "lens flare toward to the top left for added effect (i don't think i did anything else to it....i did this awhile ago, so it's hard to remember):

Edited by ClayMeow

use layers, and the selection tools and use gradients of light grey to white.. then alpha them in and out, depending on what you want, you may also want to play with

Render/Lighting Effects/ Lens Flares :/ photoshop is fun though

cool.png

i don't have any of the links i used to have so i can't help,

try searching google for "phothshop gel buttons", "phothshop plastic buttons" and "phothshop glass buttons". that should give you several tutorials on the effect you're looking for.