New Linksys Router Drops Internet Today

Linksys 4 port router works perfect for a month then all of a sudden i lose internet today and i go and reset the router and get connection back. WHy did this happen?? should i update firmware??

Hey

The way you describe it sounds like your ISP went off line rather than your router.

What type of connection do you have?

If ya got a cable modem then lights should have changed to indicate a loss of connection. If you modem showed no signs of this and your the lights on your router changed it could be the router. If so check your settings and reset them if need be. Upgrading your firmware should be your last step. ;)

Linksys router can be a pain sometimes. My wireless Linksys router use to crash once a week, the internal web page configurator would go down all the time. After numerous firmware updates trying to find the best one, I finally got one that wont crash!

Yeah I find that most SOHO(small office/home office) routers tend to just lose connection at random for some reason. I've seen it with Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, and SMC routers. Usually power cycling the router gets it back up and running, but is kinda annoying.

I run a linux firewall/router and I don't think I've rebooted it in like 8 months, and the only reason I had to originally was because I moved to a new house :lol:

well as far as the lights on the modem and router they both showed all green and no problems so i dont know why it would just drop like that. I have cox cable connection. Hopefully it wont do it again.

Sounds like something might have gone wrong with your DHCP. I have a Linksys 802.11B router and a 16 Port Linksys Switch and I've only had a problem with the router once. If it happens again plug straight into your modem and go online and work with Linksys's online live support they helped me out alot when my router went nuts.