KNOW EVERYTHING YOU POSSIBLY CAN ABOUT NETWORK PROTOCOLS

i swear to god that was half the test

know all the comand line and recovery console

make sure you can easily truble shot basic problems

theres lots of scsi stuff on there

basicly just look over everything

but you should know the IRQ's and printer and serial port numbers

know how to configure things in all versions of windows

OH and know fat 16 fat 32 and ntfs backward and forward everthing that is related to them

most of all READ THE FREAKING QUESTION lots of the time there little trick words thatll mess you up

just fyi the current pass rate for first time test takers is 2.5%

good luck guys i wont lie to you it was very hard i was in a class for a entire school year and only 1 other person passed besides me and we both barely passed

the hardest part was teh os test for sure though

if anybody needs help or has anymore question please feel free it im me

AIM: Agallion Konrad

MSN: [email protected]

email: [email protected]

i may take a bit to respond but ill try to answer everybodies questions

Edited by Agallion

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I read the first 700 pages of the 1998 standards 800 page book over 3 days with a lot of coffee and on no sleep, I went in and took the test which was the 2001 standards (it had all these questions on winNT and 2k, and I'd never ever touched either before)....

Anyway, I aced the Hardware part, but I thought for sure I was going to fail the OS part considering I'd never used the OSs they were asking about . I just asked myself on each question "If I were Bill Gates, where would I put this menu option?" I didn't even double check my answers... and presto, I passed.

I think they've since gone to the 2003 standards tho, so it maybe be more difficult, but it really isn't all that hard. Just know your stuff.

Bruce

(I was studying for net+, but I got a decent job and kinda stopped reading the book half way through... still intend to take the cert sometime).

Yeah this year their supposed to get rid of DOS, add XP and get rid of the adaptive test. I took a class at my school for A+ and I had the same teacher for VB and last year he asked me how to format a floppy in 2000. Yikes! So this guy was supposed to be teaching the class but most of the kids in there knew more then him so for me it just brought up my GPA. He also was getting us test vouchers that were supposed to cut the test price in half to 65USD but out of the 30 kids in my class and the 15 that knew most of this stuff anyway and just wanted to get certified I don't think any did cause they were so confident they learned nothing. Im still debating if its really worth taking I do have like 2 or 3 practice CDs and the book but 260USD on test is alot of money. Plus alot of place around me don't really look for A+ cert because they say its lost alot of its credit.

I can say it's helped me a little, not nearly as much as a good resume and knowing how to talk in an interview has. I mean, employers can weed out the people that really know their stuff.

However, the network administrator at my job started out with just an A+ and they flew her down to Texas somewhere for an MCSA boot camp and presto. Thankfully, the company I work for seems to promote from within and doesn't seem to mind paying for their training.

Do I regret getting it, hell no. Would I want to get it right now if I didn't have it? Yes. Any certificate of knowledge is worth getting in my seldom-humble opinion. Also, if you do A+ and Network+, you can use them in place of an elective credit toward your MCSA. People cry about how A+ has lost all of it's credibility, but it really isn't as dire as people make it out to be--just not much demand for PC Techs in most places, and if there is it's at places like Best Buy or CompUSA where the pay isn't THAT good... beats data entry or food service though, and any step up the ladder is still just that, a step up.

Bruce

Yeah it is unfortunate that A+ has lost some of its credibility. It is very easy to see who keeps up with technology or not that may possess the cert. For instance, I've seen some people who are apparently A+, but yet they come to me asking me what could be wrong with their computer, and they haven't even tried to troubleshoot it much.

Its like some people will get it and think, wow thats it, ok I can stop learning about stuff and I can fix anything. NOT true. Half the battle is troubleshooting so that you know what you are really dealing with. Being certified does not give you troubleshooting skills.

However, I think any employer who is somewhat competent would probably be able to see through someone with the cert and knows what they are doing, as apposed to someone who just has the cert but really has no clue whats going on.

very true lobbdogg

I was thinking we can like have a mini mock exam on this thread? like people post questions and people who need help can try to aanswer?

err there is still dos( you need to know command prmopt and recovery consolw) and windows xp is on there

roadkill ill try to make soem questions later

Edited by Agallion

:) thanks Agallion!

I found a very good chart for IRQ\s

0 System Time

1 Keyboard

2 Cascade to IRQ9. Can't be used

3 COM ports 2 and 4

4 COM ports 1 and 3

5 Parallel Port LPT2. Often used for sound cards

6 Floppy drive controller

7 Parallel Port, LPT1

8 Real Time Clock

9 Unassigned (Also redirected from IRQ2

10 Available

11 Available - Usually for SCSI adapter

12 Mouse or touch pads

13 Math co-processor

14 Primary hard-disk IDE controller

15 Secondary hard-disk controller

is this accurate?

u need the dma number and the I/O address for some of those

here is a sample problem that I HAD ON MY TEST

Tom calls in to your tech support and says his AMD ATHLON XP 1800 clockspeed is running at 1.53ghz. What should you tell Tom?

ya i was surprised when i saw that cause unless ur an amd person there almost no way youd know that is the correctly clock speed and to tell tom that there is not problem

Edited by Agallion