Raptors In Raid?

snipermav

Say I was looking at getting a 10k RPM SATA drive. I read an article somewhere that said that putting 2 Raptors in RAID 0 offers little to no performance increase over a single Raptor. So if I wanted about 70 gigs in 10k form, would you get 2 36.7 drives and RAID them, or just a single 74? I'd like to hear from people who have the RAID and the single drive.

I have the 2x36GB raptors that you're talking about, and when my dang RMA goes through for the POS motherboard I bought, I'll have them set up in a RAID0 as well. RAID0 is faster in theory, because you're distributing your read/writes across the two drives at the same time. I say in theory, because the sata controller manufacturers can still screw up the way they do the IO, and give you no performance increase. Do you remember where you saw that article? I'd like to read it.

OK, to answer your questions, the two 36GB drives in RAID0, *should* be faster than a single 70GB drive.

I suppose you should just ask yourself wether you really need that extra speed. A single 10k raptor is going to be quite fast anyway. I would prefer to have twice the storage than a bit more speed.. i don't mind waiting that little bit longer for things to load.

Personally, I'd like drives like that in RAID because I edit a lot of music files and that would help with rendering times and such, but I get along fine with a standard PATA drive so the cost just doesn't make sense.