Water Cooling Dual Opterons

ne1n

In about september when all the new pci express boards have had a chance to come out and drop a bit in prices im going to be building my dream machine. With no expenses spared. Heres what im thinking so far.

2 x AMD Opteron 244 DP w/ 1mb Cache

(A tyan motherboard that has pci express)

2 x Nvidia 6800 Ultra platinum (or whatever the highest one is called when it comes out)

2 x Maxtor Atlas 10k SCSI Raid 0

Thats all i have decided on so far. But anyways to my watercooling question.

I want to watercool this entire system. (excluding the chipset) I only plan on buying 1 120mm Radiator. I want to cool the 2 processors and 2 video cards. Is this going to be enough to keep those temps down for some ocing? By the way, for all of you wondering why i want dual processors. My friend showed me the light, he dedicates one processor to windows, and one to gaming. Its BEAUTIFUL! Anyways, post your comments.

Edited by ne1n

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One radiator, Two CPU's, and Two Video cards...I'd just go air and get the same temps. You really need two Raditors if you plan to do any Overclocking, cause one Raditor with all the heat will probably only cool as good as stock heatsinks, but quieter.

I dont know too much abtou water cooling . seeing as i've never doen it myself. but from my undrestanding of physics you are oging to want a very big resurvor. or maybe more then one depending. and if you are planing to OC it. why are you skipping out on the chipset blocks? also I'd say it would be interesting sence you are doign two of eerything.. go ahead and use two water systems one each for a CPU and Gcard...

2 cents

two water cooling systems will be too cluttered. i want a nice clean setup. im not set in stone whether i want water cooling,. but its definatly an option. but my friend did offer to make me 2 heatsinks made of completly solid copper. since heatsinks these days arent made of solid blocks of copper this might be a good road to go.

Yeah man stick with the water cooiling. But make it one big external system, but besure to cool the processors in parallel and not in series. Y adapters/reservoirs will be your friend. If you have the space go for the super cool look of a water bong. Ide like one but im stuck in a dorm room.

The only way you're going to pull that off is by using one of the radiators at the bottom of this page. You'll need that much cooling when you're trying to disspate the 300+ watts of heat this thing will generate. If you plan to overclock, a dual 120mm radiator isn't going to cut it. Mount it on top of your case.

The best way to do this setup is to have 2 seperate loops.

I would use:

2 DTEK ProCore HCs with dual 120MM fans in push/pull

2 Hydor L30 Pumps

The only way to effectively cool those chips and cards is to seperate them. If you aren't gonna run dual loops, or at least dual massive HCs, then it's not gonna be worth the effort and money, unless you just want it to look "cool"