Comp Reboots Too Often At 3.36

I replaced the intel heatsink with an Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4Pro L (thinking it would be small enough to fit the sunbeam duct kit I bought...it's not grrr). It didn't help my temps. Not even with the thermal grease, surprisingly.

Basically, I have an Intel 2.8 overclocked to 3.36Ghz. For the longest time it was doing fine. It was hot, but it was working. However lately as the heat has been rising, so has the CPU. Whenever it goes over 60*C, it will spontaneously reboot.

So I lowered to overclock to just over 3.0Ghz. I am not particularly pleased with this. It idles at 44*C for pete's sake.

So what are my options? I might actually consider water cooling if you can 'guarantee' I will see load temps of 35-40*C (which would be a welcomed change) or lower.

For cooling, I have 4 sunbeam CCFL fans (none of the cathodes are running -- it would be even more of a wiring nightmare anyway) -- one in the front and side for intake, and one at the top and back for outtake.

So if there's something I can add/do, suggest it here. If water cooling is your suggestion, realise I'm a total WC newbie so you might have to explain more to me (but I'm not afraid of investing in it).

Thanks ^_^

edit: I forgot the reason I posted (aside from asking what to buy) -- is there a way to switch off the auto-reboot feature?

if your system is turning off at 60C it might be a temp alarm, check your bios, most have a safety feature that turns off at a certain temp. If your case is a wiring mess, you might want to clean that up to allow better airflow through the case. :P WC is always a good thing, but i'm not an intel person, or an experienced wc'er so I cant tell you the temps you would get :D

Also it looks like the hsf you are using isnt too great, its aluminum, and only pushes 38.5cfm. I've had a great drop in temps with a copper hsf & a high output fan. also if your using the stock stuff that came with that hsf, use arctic silver 5.

If that doesnt work, go WC :P it looks so pretty

That hsf is definitely not designed for overclocking. Oh yeah, the reboot thing. There may be an option to turn it off in the BIOS. Better plan might be to set the temp threshold a little higher. If it's running that hot now, you may not want to disable any thermal protection.

What motherboard do you have? If you have an abit board (IC7 series etc), the temps read about 10c too high, if thats the case, your temps are ok, still a little high, but ok.

I managed to get my 2.8c to 3.5ghz on the stock vcore and stock cooling, but it wasnt stable enough for 24/7 use. So what vcore are you using? You may need to increase it (and get better cooling if this is the case). Those artic coolers arn't very good performers, so you could try something like a zalman heatsink (its very quiet).

Also it may be your ram, what divider are you using? If you have PC3200 ram and you're using a 1:1 divider, try either:

1. Lower the divider to 5:4

or

2. Increase the vdimm (memory voltage, probably to around 2.8v)

Good luck

Well, it seems that I wasn't running the HS fan at top speed (which btw is still slower than my case fans). I set it faster and it dropped the temps a good 10*C so it's running okay at 50*C (still hot), but at least I now can run the computer at 3.36 instead of 3.086

Vamp I've tried to o/c it to "20%", but the computer won't boot at that speed, so I'm stuck at 3.36 until I figure out why.

I don't have my stats right here, but I'll post them later if it'll help. As for heat sink suggestions, what's the best course of action? Should I try to find a sp94 or not?

I have an Intel P4 2.8 (not c) processor on an ASUS P4S800E (I hope that's right) mobo.

I'm also planning on getting a PSU cover mod with a top blowhole, and will install an intake fan. Assuming everything fits, it should suck the hot air from the heatsink and send it out ^_^