Wut To Buy

Cbass

ok so on thursday(payday for me) i get my vacation pay witch will be between 250 and 300 no first off i know i need to by another stick of 256Mb pc2700 ram

now i was thinkin gfx card

wut do u guys think now remeber i live in canada and i cant order over the net(parents wont let me) so what should i look at and price range

the only local stors are staples radio shack and sum local place down town

unless i want to wait about 2-3 weeks and a guy i work with also has his own computer buissness and gets me parts usualy at wholesale

im thinking im gonna ask my friend greg but wut should i ask for interms of gfx cards and ram

you'd be surprised how much you save when you only pay wholesale prices... and no tax... but yeah, if not the 9800pro, the 9600xt will be leaps and bounds better than your current setup

any thing else i should think of mybe a dvd drive seeing as i dont have one or maybe caption card kuz my camera is hi8 so id need one to have video i altho the gfx card has dvi and my camera has svideo would that work id just half to find a way to have sound go in too

you'd need an All-In-Wonder card to capture video... the s-video on regular cards is a TV-Out...

the sound goes into the soundcards line-in (or the line-in on your onboard audio)... usually the blue connector.... so it just records the sound that way... at least, that's what i'm used to with my old GeForce2

so get an AIW 9600xt or AIW 9800pro and 2 sticks of PC3200 and if you have any left after that, then a dvd drive (i think they're pretty cheap now anyway)

wow, seriously DON'T get one of those usb capture things cos they suck .... it shouldn't be MUCH more for an AIW and is worth the extra if you're into video editing...

the 9600xt + usbCaptureTurd will probably me more $ than AIW 9600xt anyway, if not.... still don't buy the turd

Get a 9600 Pro AWI. Much cheaper and performs great (can be OCed to XT speeds pretty easily too). As for RAM, if you save a lot more by getting PC2700 instead of 3200, go for it. You'll never need the full power of PC3200 with that setup (although PC3200 would be a good move if you plan to upgrade the whole thing sometime soon)

If that is the direction you want to go... the Aiw cards Rock.... I have a 7500 AIW on one system that is perfct for capturing...

in my main rig I have a 9600xt (very nice card, not too expensive, plays any game well) and a Winfast capture card.....

haven't had a chance to try video capture yet with it though...

as mentioned the USB capture devices just aren't fast enough for a good capture....

9600AiW and Ram (and a new mobo..if you can swing it.....)