Prescott Or Northwood

Timmy

All my buddies says the prescotts are running a touch hot for oc-ing via air. And reviews say the prescotts are running hot as well compared to the norths. Well im gonan get a 3.0 and get it to about 3.4 or .5 gigs air cooled. My buddies ahave had a great deal of success duing just that with a zalman, but they use the northwoods.

Prescotts are on sale right now at newegg w/ 1 meg cache for like 50 bucks less then normal... Could i get the prescott oc'd to 3.4 ish air cooled like the the norths?

Well here's my $.02. I'd say get a northwood; I have a 2.8c right now and I have it oced to 3.4 with no problems what so ever. My main problem comes from my ram, so i'd reccommend getting a good stick of ram like 3500 or higher ram. As for a cooler I'd reccommend a vantec cooler (the one in my sig) if you want performance and noise as one (as well as price). Happy OCing.

Well here's my $.02. I'd say get a northwood; I have a 2.8c right now and I have it oced to 3.4 with no problems what so ever. My main problem comes from my ram, so i'd reccommend getting a good stick of ram like 3500 or higher ram. As for a cooler I'd reccommend a vantec cooler (the one in my sig) if you want performance and noise as one (as well as price). Happy OCing.

I ran an aeroflow 2 on my OC'd celly, and it ran really hot. Like, 58C under load, mid 40s at idle. I've got it running on a stock 2.4B now, not sure how hot it runs on that setup.

Is that a normal temp for a OC'd celly([email protected]) or is that actually a low temp for the OC? I think voltage was around 1.63-65 under load(it was on an ASUS board, so who knows what the Vcore really was.) And like 1.74 at idle. Cuz that CPU cooler is really quiet. I'd like to throw one on my rig, since I'm running a Tt Spark 7+ and that thing is LOUD. But I only hit 41-43C under load. Idle is around 35C. If the aeroflow could do just as good a job...................

Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? I had that problem before with one of my old hsf setups. Make sure that you put enough compound on there to cover the cpu but not so much as to make a block between the cpu and the hsf. Also, what are you using to get your temps? I have a temp gague that is attached to the bottom of my hsf near the cpu so I get fairly accurate reads. Mobo monitors are horrible at reporting temps.

http://207.44.153.198/infommercial.html

visit to see prescott's are running hot...

But i am now using a prescott 2.8 and when i cool it with a Zalman CNPS7000A and downclock it a little bit ;) i have no problems

of course if you downclock something your probably not gonna have any problems. What temps do you have with the prescott 2.8?

I would go with the Northwood if it were me, I just bought 3 for folding a 2.8C, 3.2C and 3.4C. I did not have time to overclock them etc. as they needed to be crunching WUs but I was curious about the 3.4C I raised the clock speed 5 at a time and went to 3.85ghz before it would not boot on stock vcore , thats with a Asus P4C800 Deluxe and OCZ PC4200 Cas 2.5, I bet that chip would overclock pretty good since it went to 3.85ghz without changing any settings or any mods to the MB. About 3.8ghz was were I had to add the vdimm mod to the Asus with my 3.2EE to get it any higher, then I went to a little over 4ghz

I just bought 3 for folding a 2.8C,  3.2C and 3.4C.

crap! you bought those for JUST folding only? either you are really after the points or know somebody with cancer. BTW those are some ok folding rigs lol.

EDIT: now I know how you made it to #3 in the folding ranks.