Mass Storage On The Atomic Level

Yes, I know, it's being achieved by those really rich people at IBM with Ph.D's and stuff, though they probably ripped it off from someone else. But, it was notoriously noturius...ish...

Now, 1 atom = ~1/86,000,000,000th of an inch. So, because we're working with such small scale, lets think practically here. Lets say that we've put together a bundle of around 1,000 atoms(trust me, that's reeeeeeeeal small) of some conductive and magnetic material. Now, we could have those bundles in 2 part cells, with magnets opposite from each other in the upper corner of each part. One part could complete have an open circuit that would represent a 1 when closed. This part could be closed by the atom bundle. But lets get to that in a bit. The other side could have no circuit at all, and just be a bare area for the atom bundle to rest in when that cell needs to represent a 0. Now, for the magnets, they could be some type of on/off toggable magnets(like electromagnets, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong there). A current of electricity or something could be sent into them to activate them. These would then be used to pull the atom bundle from one side to another. That way, the cell can be toggled from a representary of a +5v current(aka a 1 bit), or no current(aka a 0 bit). This method can increase write speeds to a speed much faster than that acchieved by IBM(take that, you people that secretly stole my theory :angry:). Engineering this may be extremely tedious and costly now, but as better methods produced... well, within 10 years, they could probably be at the price of today's SCSI drives.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

PS: This is my own theory on atom storage, I didn't rip it off from someone.

PPS: And yes, I have too much time on my hands.

it might work in the future, but i think current science isn't sufficiently advanced to be able to manipulate individual atoms... what you have described as a storage system is fairly similar to semi-conductor devices (ie, transistors, silicon logic gates, memory, cpu) that are available now...

it might work in the future, but i think current science isn't sufficiently advanced to be able to manipulate individual atoms... what you have described as a storage system is fairly similar to semi-conductor devices (ie, transistors, silicon logic gates, memory, cpu) that are available now...

Cuuuurseees...

But it does allow for a much much greater space/size ratio. Imagine having EB drives the size of todays hard drives :).

Uh, hardnrg, you're wrong about that. IBM researchers first maniplulated single atoms back in 1991. They even spelled out "IBM" with a cluster of (I can't remember which) atoms. KB, your theory is basically what hard drives use now, just not quite at that scale. One problem with that scale has something to do with material grain size and impurities. I think IBM has a paper on this.

Uh, hardnrg, you're wrong about that. IBM researchers first maniplulated single atoms back in 1991. They even spelled out "IBM" with a cluster of (I can't remember which) atoms.

meh, i meant, i don't think the precision of control is high enough to manipulate single atoms at high speed on a massively parallel scale... not some ibm fools spelling out ibm with a bunch of atoms...

IBM fools, LOL! I agree, which is why atom-level drives are not possible yet (at least for ferromagnetic drives, keep an eye out for the optical cube drives, they should be ready in 5-20 years.)

Edit: there are serious issues with ferromagnetic drives that precise, the material really won't allow for it. High-speed NVM and Optics are far better replacements

Ok this is my newb/blonde moment for the day.... Who is "Simon3" and what the heck is that thing he is holding? lol

P.S. I am not blonde so dont try and look up my skirt... eh pants!

if the chips ever come out, i'm gonna put them back in the rim so i can have my very own Simon 3 :lol:

I'll just use it to make hoax UFO pictures, then put the chip in my computer. That's before I beat you at Simon3. :P