Folding Contests, How Should They Work?

Bosco

i think this is the fairest proposed idea yet... cos it doesn't necessarily mean that people with the most money and most machines will be more likely to win... it would go more on folding participation than folding power...

(even though raw folding power is undeniably valuable, loyal folding participation is more important i think :))

I concur (which sounds better than :withstupid: )

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 1 entry for each person actively folding would do it . Giving everyone the same shot at winning a prize. This way you take out all the variables that can stack the deck one way or another. Just my 2 cents worth. :foldon::foldon:

ok, so now i'm thinking... have the 1 entry per active folder prize draw... and then also have a 1 entry per 1000 points draw...

cos active folders can have a fair chance, and then people who are generating the most points can get rewarded for all the money and effort in buying endless rigs and borging schools/companies! :lol:

How about picking one name from a hat, for "new folding members"(within the last two months or so), one for folding members less than a year, and one for all others.

I like Mangar's idea. That way everyone at every level of folding has a chance. This way not all three prizes could go to the bottom folders or the top folders. So no matter where you are in the ranks you'll at least have a chance. Plus, there is virtually no time or effort that you need to expend on computations and the sort. Unfortunately my proposal with the Michigan State Lotto ($120 million grant) was rejected again, so I cannot contribute a few hundred PCs as I had expected :( . Will try again on Tuesday, now up to $150 Milllliiiiooooonnn. :foldon:

There is a few people on here like myself that have added machines personally to help OCC fold, Roadrunner I know for sure has, how is that fair, he puts in his own money like me to get more machines going but he only gets one vote thats not fair at all!!!! But I do understand what you are all saying and it needs to be fair, depending on the prizes we could have a prize givin away depending on production. It may take a extra prize or two but at least everyone had a good chance of winning. Like under the folding states there is 3 or 4 different colors we could do the same if Matt had the prizes to give away.

no like Scored points / Hours folded...

3000 points / 100 = 30

while

3000 points / 50 = 60

so its based on how productive you are

you're way is once again rewarding users with the best computers. The classic case of the rich getting richer. Someone with dual-opterons will have better productivity than someone with a crappy celeron....yet, the celeron-user is the one that "needs" the prize more.

As for doing it based on how many people you got to fold, i agree with the others, that there's absolutely no way of knowing who got who. I mean, i've noticed the f@h banner i made has appeared a lot over the past few weeks. Should i make matt give me an entry for every click it's received? (i'm sure he keeps results).

I think the only fair way is every member gets one and only one entry, just like in most contests. Breaking it up into categories (like new members, year old members, etc) is good, as long as you still just get one entry. I think we should remember that nobody that folds HAS to fold. We all choose to, and that should be good enough. It shouldn't matter how much someone contributes, because that points to how much someone is CAPABLE of contributing.

We gotta' look at the big picture here...

Basically OCC uses these competitions/contests, as a means of team recruitment & production enhancement, and while I like the idea of a level playing field as far as opportunities to win... we must recognise the effort put in by our larger contributors (you know who you are ;)), so be it either based on points-per-entry or active WU weeks (which rewards consistency ;))... it's all good for Team OCC & the F@H project overall :D

Personally though... 3 draws only, highest WU/credit wins first and so on... equal pegging would resort back to order of ticket drawn... with perhaps a booby prize (some uber OCC shop item) for an encourgement/improvement award... just a thought :)

Time for us all to get some...

post-8-1087573245.jpg

While this idea is not exactly contest related, how about some sort of recognition in the forums for folders as they reach the 1K, 5K, 10K etc. point levels? Either give them another DNA strand, a tag under their avatar or some other form of recognition?

Just a thought.